Reply To: Target Trouble

fiffi
Participant

Hi guys. Thank you for good suggestions and instructive video.

I have worked with this game on and off since I started using Magic Dosbox, but I feel that it’s one of the most complicated games out there to get working properly. I took a break and worked with other games to improve my skills. Now I thought it was time to get started with Ultima Underworlds again, I’m itching to play through it for the first time in 29 years. 😊

I have tried using Al ex suggestion (absolute mouse / target / relative mouse) before, and I tried it again today. And yes, it works. Until it suddenly doesn’t work anymore. Then I do some other stuff, like pressing other widgets, and it works again for a while. It seems to me that there need to be mouse reset in there somewhere for it to be stable, and I would rather not have a separate widget for mouse reset if I can help it.

However, I have continued working with this after starting this topic, and I think I have found a workaround. On the deadly strike I have added a second target after the click, this one just moves the cursor. This seems to make the widget working every time, and it also solves another problem. The widgets on the arrow icons shown above is activated by a pixel trap on one of the arrows, and that means that the cursor might deactivate the widgets. Moving the cursor away solves that problem as well. Deciding how to set up the pixel traps is a puzzle in itself when it comes to this game.

By the way, no rests seem to be needed, either. We want maximum snappiness, right? 😊

I will continue working with this, keeping your advice in mind. We’ll see where I end up. Thanks again.