zipped games support

• This topic has 8 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by admin.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kupao
    Participant

Hi, is it possible for you to add zipped games support like with DOSBox Pure in Retroarch?

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

It is nice feature. I can check the patch. But if it will not be easy then I mustnskip it for now. I work on public storage optimizations due google’s restrictions for android 11+ devices.

admin
    Keymaster

I think about it, maybe it can help to bypass slow public storage

Kupao
    Participant

Thanks for considering it.

To be honest, I posted this trying to check if my message will post as it didn’t the first time.

Looking at the way Retroarch and DOSBOX Pure works with directories, it kind of make the games work like rom files with emulators (zipped games read on load and saves are outside the game folders). In the name of convenience.

Considering how MDB works (it’s easy to use as possible), it still requires prior DOS knowledge with folders and other nuances. If you can pull this off, I think it’s going to be impressive. Thanks!

admin
    Keymaster

Yes. However, people will still need dos knowledge. The biggest difference between f.e ps1 emulator and dosbox is the need of setup. Problem what I face in emails is setup, in 90% sound setup. This is automatic in ps1 emulator, because is always same, in ms-dos games it must be done manually, because is different game by game.

Kupao
    Participant

Hi, I didn’t realize the sound setup in DOS games, that made sense.

On an unrelated note, I’m now trying to setup a game called Silver for Windows 95. I was able to get it working but I can’t figure out how to translate it’s attack functions to MDB. The way special attacks work is that you’ll need to hold the left Control key, hold the left mouse button then move the mouse to a direction. Combo widget doesn’t seem to allow additional mouse settings other than left, right or toggle and the and the settings for mouse button (permanent, click, on hold) didn’t seem to help.

Any suggestions for this situation? Thanks.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

This seems to be similar to daggerfall. In daggerfall it was possible to do, because it supports absolute mouse. This is problem in win95. With absolute mouse you can define start and end of mouse dragging. This is not possible if game does not support absolute mouse. What you can do is put over self two widgets, key widget on top and mouse widget below. Key widget will be “non blocking”. Mouse widget will be “click”. This way you trigger both widgets at once and you can swing with relative mouse to do attack.

Kupao
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion, this works. I’m still tweaking to get it to be more responsive but it should do for now.

admin
    Keymaster

Somewhere on dosbox-x website i found that there exists way how to install mouse driver which can work like dos driver and then is possible to get absolute mouse work, but I did not search for it deeper

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.