Windows 95 boot issue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    typicaltextrovert
    Participant

Hello Everyone!

I tried to install Windows 95 based on the official video, but unfortunately I was not successful, the system hangs at boot time (Booting from drive C…). What can be causing this problem?
    My android device: Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019).

(I noticed that the initial .vhd file is 524,289 KB, while the finished .img file is “only” 524,288 KB. I don’t know if it matters?)

Thank you very much for your help!

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hello, and welcome! πŸ™‚
    Win95 is terrible to set up, there can be numerous reasons. If it hangs on the boot screen, you might want to check your settings again. If there’s only the slightest bit off with the -size parameter, it won’t launch. Also, make sure you do not use SVN core, it’s a bit buggy in Win95.
    In my case (512 MB image), it’s like this (“0000-0000” is my external sd):
    imgmount c /storage/0000-0000/Games/PC/Win95/c.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,32,520

typicaltextrovert
    Participant

Dear AL EX!

Thank you very much for your greeting and quick response!
    Based on your help, I realized there was a problem with adjusting the size.
    I rewrote the command as follows:
    imgmount c/storage/emulated/0/Win95.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 536,87,09,12
    Now, when I open DosBox, the logo pops up and the program closes… Do you have any advice on this?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Not really, apart from guessing. Does it work in “regular” Windows/Linux Dosbox (=do you have access to a pc)? Because apart from a few minor things, Magic Dosbox is probably 99,99% compatible to the Windows version. Troubleshooting on a big screen & keyboard is so much easier. πŸ™‚

If you like, you can post your expert settings here (it’s basically Dosbox’s .conf file), so we can have a look at your settings.

typicaltextrovert
    Participant

I figured out where I was wrong! As a test, I downloaded an “external” img file that I was able to run. Its parameters were described:

imgmount d Win95E.img -size 512,63,16,255

Then I tried to create several img files, but none of them worked. In my final desperation, I looked at the downloaded file (Win95E.img), which was written to 131 604 992 bytes in the properties! Where can I see the “virtual parameters” of an img file?

(Sorry if the question is stupid.)

Al ex
    Keymaster

Tbh, I only ever used hdd images that came with correct mounting commands (the ones I’ve linked in this post).
    Are you using a “regular” 512 MB image? If so, have you tried the parameters I’m using on mine(512,63,32,520)?

typicaltextrovert
    Participant

Thank you very much for your answer(s). I solved everything, according to your instructions!

Thank you so much, in the online world I have never met such helpfulness! πŸ™‚

I wish you the best, Al ex!

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hey, glad it’s working now. And thanks for the flowers. ☺️
    If you have any other issues, feel free to ask anytime. 🍻

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.