Win95 color issues

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gobodrodiont
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to run old win95/98 game Blackstone Chronicles on my android tablet. So far I’ve made a lot of progress and the game runs almost properly. The only problem is a color issue. Every time I start the game, screen palette turns green/purple/red automatically and there is nothing I can do adjusting color in Windows screen properties. I suppose it’s a problem relating S3 trio64V+ video card. The card has 16, 256 colors, High color 16 bit and true color 32 bit color modes. One of the game’s requirements is 24 bit color, so, I believe, the game is trying to switch color mode to True color (32 bits) automatically when I start the game.

So does it turn out that True color mode in win95/98 is bugged and has wrong palette while being emulated via Magicbox? Any chance to fix it?

screenshot1

Screenshot2

admin
    Keymaster

Unfortunately no, mdosbox displays now 565 textures with 2 bytes per pixel…32bit needs 4bytes, else pixel information is reduced. I must dig deeper to fix that.

gobodrodiont
    Participant

I see… Is it possible to turn this mode (32 bit) off in Windows? To give the game a chance running in 16 bit mode maybe?

Al ex
    Keymaster

I think that will only be possible if there’s an option in the game’s settings. Or maybe a tweak to the game’s config file (an .ini / .cfg file or something like that). I find it a bit strange that this game needs 32 bit graphics though, all this pre-rendered stuff can’t have more colour depth than 16 bit. At least judging by the sceenshots I’ve seen.

Edit: wow, I’ve checked the system requirements, and it does indeed say “24-bit PCI card with 2 MB RAM (4 MB recommended)”.

gobodrodiont
    Participant

I can’t see any .ini or.cfg files in game folder. What if I just reinstall S3 video card drivers without 32 bit color?

Al ex
    Keymaster

I’m thinking too much from a modern games perspective, I guess. ?
    If there is an S3 driver w/o 32 bit colour mode, it might work. Although, given that the mininmum requirement for the game is a 24 bit colour gpu, I’m almost certain you’ll only get an error message instead. ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.