WIN3.1 AND WIN9.X GAMES

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Hello,

thank you very much:) Yes, I will record installation guide for win3.11. Fortunately this process is absolutely easy against win95 and you don’t need virtual box. But life is not easy and with current version is not so easy, you must wait to next version – at least if you want install it from floppy discs, because only next version will support multiple floppies in one drive(but maybe there is some iso file). In last 3 weeks I installed win3.11 from floppies maybe 10 times and it works very well. And next version will support it only through expert settings, unfortunately you will be able set multiple floppies in gui in version 43(now will go out 42). Currently I am very busy with other tasks. In expert settings you will be able mount multiple floppies exactly like you do it with iso files. And I want create video guide after I will finish gui:)

Best regards,
    Tony

OleGamerUA
    Participant

Hi, Tony! Thank you for answer.

By the way, even in current version you can use multiple floppies with one trick, simply add into config such kind of a string:
    boot /SD_PATH/BOOTABLE_DOS.img /SD_PATH/SOME_DISK_1.img /SD_PATH/SOME_DISK_2.img /SD_PATH/SOME_DISK_3.img

Works great in Magic DOSBox and you can switch between disks simply through the main menu 😉

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

hah, that’s surprise for me:) Cool, but how you can iterate through images during installation? “Swap image” works?

Best regards,
    Tony

OleGamerUA
    Participant

Yes, simply swap them through Magic DOSBox menu when needed and continue installation 🙂

admin
    Keymaster

Perfect, thank you:)

OleGamerUA
    Participant

Finally, Windows 3.11 for Workgroups installed and works!

At first I’ve tried to install a regular version of Windows 3.11 (from 7 virtual floppies), it was installed correctly, but after loading there were only empty windows without icons.

Here is what you need (for experienced users):
    [+] Windows 3.11 for Workgroups (8 virtual floppies in my case, but you can use any other).
    [+] MS-DOS (6.22 on 5 virtual floppies in my case, but you can use any other).
    [+] Bootable DOS image (needed to start installation from multiple floppies).
    [+] Archive with video and sound drivers: https://www.sendspace.com/file/iw4b6e.
    [+] Formatted 64MB HDD image (in my case, but you can use smaller or larger) with extracted drivers.
    [+] Commands for expert settings:
    [autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    imgmount c /SD_PATH/64_MB_HDD.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,16,128
    boot /SD_PATH/BOOTABLE_DOS.ima /SD_PATH/DOSDisk1.ima /SD_PATH/DOSDisk2.ima /SD_PATH/DOSDisk3.ima /SD_PATH/DOSDisk4.ima /SD_PATH/DOSDisk5.ima
    [+] After booting simply swap the image through Magic DOSBox menu, go to the A: drive and run setup.exe.
    [+] Begin installation. When you’ll get a message to insert next disk, simply swap the image again and continue.
    [+] Swap them as many times as needed until the end of MS-DOS installation.
    [autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    boot /SD_PATH/BOOTABLE_DOS.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk1.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk2.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk3.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk4.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk5.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk6.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk7.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk8.ima
    [+] After booting simply swap the image through Magic DOSBox menu, go to the A: drive and run setup.exe.
    [+] Begin installation. When you’ll get a message to insert next disk, simply swap the image again and continue.
    [+] Swap them as many times as needed until the end of installation (ignore errors and don’t interrupt setup).
    [autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    c:
    cd windows
    setup
    [+] Choose “Display” option, scroll to the most bottom and choose “Other (Requires disk…)”.
    [+] Enter path to S3 driver (in my case C:\DRIVERS\S3) and choose “S3 Trio64V 1.70.04 640×480 256 C” (or you can try any other).
    [+] Commands for expert settings (in my case path to sound driver was C:\DRIVERS\SB16):
    [autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    c:
    cd drivers
    cd sb16
    install
    [+] Start sound driver installation, choose correct path for Windows. Select “Interrupt setting…” option and choose “7”.
    [autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    c:
    cd windows
    win
    [+] Open “C:\CONFIG.SYS” file from your virtual HDD and replace its content with this:
    FILES=40
    BUFFERS=40
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE /DOUBLE_BUFFER
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CSP.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220
    DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:7 D:1 H:5
    DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
    STACKS=9,256
    [+] Open “C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT” file from your virtual HDD and replace its content with this:
    SET SOUND=C:\SB16
    SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
    SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
    C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
    C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
    C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE
    PATH C:\WINDOWS;
    SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    WIN
    [autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    boot -l c

[-] In my case here was a fail, so don’t follow the above step with strikethrough data.
    [+] Start Windows (the only thing in my case after installing video driver, some errors during Windows appearance, but it works).
    [+] Enjoy Windows 3.11 for Workgroups in your Magic DOSBox 🙂

This is not the best manual and result, so maybe someone will write it better. Anyway, feel free to correct my steps and I’ll edit this post.

admin
    Keymaster

That’s amazing! Later I will play with this and will create video guide. My experiences with installing win3.11 are simple. I mounted all 7-8 floppies and installed workgroup version. But I never played with drivers. Great work

infernoxzx
    Participant

Hi, Tony! Found on YouTube video how to install windows 95 dosbox to be as an alternative, you can try to do the same at the Magic dosbox, here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPq3_m5MGAI
    and a link to useful files for windows http://dosbox95.darktraveler.com/important.html

admin
    Keymaster

Thank you. I’ll try that. Magic Dosbox uses core cpu like daum build has, but not all feature are the same. So, maybe it will not work. But it’s cool tutorial, will try that. Thank you

OleGamerUA
    Participant

Virtual CloneDrive cannot play CDDA for some reason (maybe just in my case).

So here is how to install Daemon Tools 3.47 in Windows 95 (for experienced users):
    [+] I’ve made these steps early in VirtualBox (you can try with your prepared Win95 images, but don’t forget about backup).
    [+] Create a folder named “USB”, for example.
    [+] Go to “other/updates/usb” folder on Win95CD, copy two files: “usbsupp.exe”, “usbupd2.exe” and paste them into just created “USB” folder.
    [+] Create a folder named “DT”, for example.
    [+] Go to “win95” folder on Win95CD, find win95_05.cab, copy a file from it named “riched32.dll” and paste it into just created “DT” folder.
    [+] Go to “win95” folder on Win95CD, find win95_15.cab, copy a file from it named “winspool.drv” and paste it into “DT” folder.
    [+] Find and download Daemon Tools 3.47, extract its installer in “DT” folder (there must be just “daemon347.exe” (492KB)).
    [+] Find and download Internet Explorer 4.0, extract its installer in “DT” folder, then extract every extracted cabs/zips, then again extract every newly extracted cabs/zips from previous cabs/zips.
    [+] Find and download Windows Installer 2.0, extract its installer in “DT” folder.
    [+] Create ISO file, copy/paste “DT” and “USB” folders there.
    [+] Run Win95 through VirtualBox with this ISO as a CD.
    [+] Go to “USB” folder, install “usbsupp.exe”, reboot, install “usbupd2.exe” and reboot again.
    [+] From “DT” folder copy “msi.dll” and paste it into “C:\Windows\System” folder.
    [+] Go to “DT” folder, install “daemon347.exe”, reboot.
    [+] Enjoy using Daemon Tools and say thanks to VOGONS forum for a lot of useful information 🙂

But it is still impossible to play CDDA 🙂

Also, Windows became more unstable after these manipulations, so I don’t recommend anyone to replace Virtual CloneDrive with Daemon Tools at this moment, but you can install it for tests in another Win95 image.

Any ideas how to make CDDA work in Windows 95 through Magic DOSBox?

admin
    Keymaster

Great, thank you, surely I will try (immediately when I’ll get out off testing loop)

Moromillas
    Participant

Been trying to get Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 working.

It boots up, and start a game, but…. I can’t lower the resolution.

I distinctly remember (ages ago) setting it to 320×200 or 320×240 in software mode, because I didn’t have a video card at the time. Yet it doesn’t have those lower resolutions, it only has 640×400, 640×480, 800×600.

I changed the type of monitor and noticed that some higher resolutions unlock for DF 2. Perhaps the monitor type has something to do with it?

Any ideas? Would be appreciated.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Are your sure that’s even possible? According to Mobygames, 640×480 is the lowest you can go. And when I google this, I only get DF 1 results (which is running 320×200 anyway).
    I think Windows 95 games are always 640×480 or higher. I would love to get a hack to run others like Half Life or Thief at 320×200 as well, but I think this won’t work, neither in Magic Dosbox, nor in the desktop version. Let alone the buggy Win95 graphics emulation in Dosbox in general. ?

Moromillas
    Participant

100% sure. I distinctly remember using the lowest resolution, and lowering the screen size down just to play. Same with Half-Life, no way I could get such a high resolution. At most, I would try 512×384. You mean to say it’s all some sort of false memory? No… I’m pretty sure I got Quake working at a 320×200 in magic dosbox running win95. That too I would use the lowest resolution and turn down the screen size back in the day.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hmm… I don’t have DF2 here for testing. I tried 320×200 and 512×384 in thief and Half-Life, ingame if available, and via cfg-file editigin, but this either didn’t work or even crashed the game.
    As I said, this didn’t work in the official/svn PC version of Dosbox, either. But I’ll give it another try. Thief on my phone would be uber-awesome. ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.