Win 95 Install

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    snike
    Participant

Hello, tried my hand at installing Win 95, tried 2 versions of Win 95 just in case, as well as the same version you’re using in the video playthrough on the Magic DosBox Youtube channel which is OSR 2.5 with all the settings you’ve changed, yet always getting a “FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.” error, any fixes? I’m apparently using a newer or updated version of VirtualBox (which is 5.1 instead of the 5.0 version used in the video) so not sure if that’s the problem, if I should maybe use an older version? Thanks in advance!

admin
    Keymaster

Hi, I made that video guide long time ago. Maybe now is worth try limbo pc emulator, it could install win95 fine, then you can use this image wit dosbox. Probably you will need do that magic with drivers – remove installed by limbo and install that attached in youtube guide

snike
    Participant

Oh thanks, I’ll give it a go! 🙂

snike
    Participant

Was going to ask further more on how to use the image with DosBox if it weren’t for more errors hehe, Win 95 is still not booting up even with the Limbo Emulator.. sigh, not sure if to leave the project on hold for now since I’ve read and watched quite a few forum threads and video guides hehe, thanks for the info/help though!

admin
    Keymaster

Hmm, I think you have wrong cd…or non bootable

snike
    Participant

That’s what I thought myself, seeing how I tried more than one CD version, in any case I did find one that worked in the end but I guess I was just lazy to take care of other little things such as stretching/resizing the window to fullscreen and such, since i didn’t find any option to do so, in the end I’m still not sure as to why some CDs work and others don’t, I wonder if Win 98 has the same problems, or maybe it’s just my case, who knows.. 🙂

snike
    Participant

Kind of a late post so apologies for that but was browsing the net through some lack of sleep and ironically I stumbled upon a version of Win 95 https://www.pcjs.org/blog/2015/09/21/ that I can run in browser, on my phone lol yet setting up an emulator which in comparison at least should be easier, isn’t, at least for me.. oh well lol

snike
    Participant

I may have figured up how to run Win 95 in fullscreen via the Limbo emulator, though still puzzled figuring why some versions don’t work, however the ultimate problem is figuring how to install anything on it or transfer any data in its supposed virtual hard disk? Or mounting any image etc

snike
    Participant

Since the Limbo emulator only loads up the Win 95 image the only thing that comes to mind is if it’s in any way possible to create a Win 95 image with something already installed on it then open it with the emulator? I know, I’m probably overcomplicating things lol

snike
    Participant

Managed to install Win 95 with a proper version, on Magic DosBox via VirtualBox and the Youtube playlist/guides, however there’s another problem now, since I want to install a different game than Fallout 2, such as The Sims, I need more space, is it possible to use 2 HDD’s at the same time? In the sense of having 2 copies of the HDD file provided in the Youtube guides, on my phone at the same time? Thank you in advance!

snike
    Participant

One kind-of-error after another hehe.. soo, I think I managed to mount another HDD on another virtual drive, though this time after a quick look at the Win 95 boot-up screen, it goes back to DOS.. then it finally starts, guessing it’s taking more time to load because of the new HDD, however it doesn’t show up in My Computer, tried changing the drive’s letters, also probably important to mention that I simply inserted a new line in the Expert commands Configuration hopefully with the right info, it detects it in Dos as a new Drive etc. but Idk why it doesn’t show it up once Win 95 loads up.. any fix for this? Or also, how do you create a virtual HDD? Thank you!

admin
    Keymaster

Hi, sorry for late answer. No, you can’t mount more then two discs. You can mount fist for C:\ and second for d:\

maybe this thread can help somehow

WIN3.1 AND WIN9.X GAMES

But you can have two game profiles both can start the same c:\ but you can have different d:\
    For example create game profile Fallout 2 and game profile Sims. Both profiles can mount the same img with system, but each profile can mount another d: image

here are correct configurations for images:
    16MB: -size 512,63,16,32
    32MB: -size 512,63,16,64
    64MB: -size 512,63,16,128
    128MB: -size 512,63,16,256
    256MB image: -size 512,63,16,520
    512MB image: -size 512,63,32,520
    1GB image: -size 512,63,64,520
    2GB image: -size 512,63,64,1023
    300MB image: -size 512,63,16,600

snike
    Participant

Thank you, apologies since I’ve had some net issues myself, I’ll give this guide a look, though I think I remember following it some time ago. So far I’ve only tried what I found in another thread on this forum and that is just copying the RIP folders instead of the images to mount, had a few errors so trying to fix those as well.

snike
    Participant

There was a Game Image HDD I was curious about trying for The Sims in the video guide’s description you linked in your previous comment https://dir50.com/2n5bib3qypy8/hdd-2gb_AOE1_2_The_Sims_1.zip.html , however it fails to let me download it in any way, it either blocks the page if I’ve Adblock on or it floods my browser with pop-ups otherwise over and over again, trying a different tactic for the game with some RIP folders + some CD/expansion to mount and hopefully fix the game, other than that I’ve no idea what else to try hehe but thanks for the info/help provided so far, I guess just being able to run Win 95 on my phone is a feat on it’s own, in any case I’d love to read more fixes if there are more to be found! 🙂

snike
    Participant

My main problem with games with similar sizes is that if either the game’s image or the game’s folder is bigger than 2GB, since you can at max use a 2GB HDD you’re pretty much stuck, or the drive C in Win 95 is only big to a point, I think when i tried installing The Sims Deluxe Edition it needed more than 500 mb of space which was what my C drive had, any way of creating an HDD with more volume, or does Win 95 not support more?

Also would you ever consider doing a video guide for installing Win 98 or later Windows versions (if possible) like you did with Win 95?

Thanks again for the help/info!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.