Warcraft 3 on Magic Dosbox?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    marcus_maximus
    Participant

Has anyone ever got the 3rd instalment to work on MDB (Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos)?

Al ex
    Keymaster

You can’t run Warcraft 3 in mDosbox. It’s needs at least WinXP and a Geforce gpu, no way you’ll get this running. I do wish I could play it on my phone, and actually messaged Blizzard eight years ago, when I got the very first Galaxy S – which would’ve been already more than capable of running the game. Sadly, they never even responded. 😉

I could start a massive rant on that topic. I mean, how many publishers have missed out on re-selling their old classics to millions of mobile gamers!? Look at GTA III/VC/SA, or SWKotOR, on Android, these games are amazing. So where the heck is Warcraft 3, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim? Where are all the cool games from 2000-2010!?

Valve have released Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Portal, and Tomb Raider 2013 for the Shield devices, and Half-Life 2 at least can be run on other Android devices as well, if you know how. I’ve played ports of other classics (Jedi Outcast & Academy, Doom 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Half-Life 1), but these were 3rd party ports, not official ones.

Man, I could go on for hours. So much wasted potential. At least Fortnite mobile is coming to Android. ?

Al ex
    Keymaster

I moved your question to a new topic, because it’s not really related to the inital question. And I realized that my response was pulling it even more off-topic. ?

Larrynho
    Participant

War3 was initially released with Win98 support.. I could not make it even start on MDB and never tried on real hardware.

Agree 100% Alex :p anyway.. I think that premium Android market is just not THAT profitable, or we would be drowned on classics.

Just in case Ive never said it around here, you definetly CAN play Morrowind on Android: https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4898&sid=66c926c26b0fd08d3a2250a5aacff120

Im several hours ingame already on my s7 edge.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Funny, I tried it again only yesterday. I followed the development closely two or three years ago, when sandstranger was doing all the inital work, until Matt Grandstaff, Bethesda’s community manager (?) started threatening him. I had some dm contact with sandstranger after that, I tested one or two alphas, but then he pulled out of the project. I was actually very happy to see it’s being worked on again.

Btw, did you get the water textures to display properly?

Larrynho
    Participant

Nope, never actually… the best thing I could achieve was in Gles2 to actíivate the water shader on video options, so the surface will reflect the world.

Same hehe I followed the developement until the cease&desist from Bethesda.. then granted the Project as good as dead, until recently 😀 It really is a GREAT Project and I cant really understand why Bethesda does not support it. On the worst, they will sell gog/steam copies of the game.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Exactly. I mean, if they aren’t developing their own mobile versions anyway, what’s the damage? But maybe they realized it in the meantime. After that history, noone would’ve taken up the Android development again unless there’s some sort of guarantee Bethesda are cool with it. ?

admin
    Keymaster

Bethesta is very strict, I was asking them for permission for using screenshots from daggerfall and arena running in mDosbox. I wanted these screenshots like a promo pictures on google play, but they refused.

But that morrowind project looks awesome, is it playable?

Al ex
    Keymaster

It is indeed. Controls are quite ugly and pretty clumsy, they still seem to identical to the ones sandstranger made back then. And you need to copy the data files folder to your device, which contains almost 20.000 files, a total of 1.3 GB. Wish there was some sort of obb/zip support for that. 😉

admin
    Keymaster

I must try it, somewhere I have orinal CD

Larrynho
    Participant

Lastest version have improved the controls a lot… I find it very playable and it is controller friendly.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Controller friendly!? Wow, gotta try that out. ??

Al ex
    Keymaster

Alright, the April 21st build is indeed working better than the one from April 8th. I also have water shaders working properly now (Gles v2, enable water, keep refraction disabled). It’s not optimized in any way though, there’s a huge performance hit when you enable this feature.

Btw, am I the only one who doesn’t like the OpenMW water shaders and thinks the vanilla Morrowind ones look better? Or is it just because Morrowind was the first game with cool water effects back then (I bought a Geforce4 Ti 4200 back then to play it properly ?)?

The controller setup is a pain though. When I hide the onscreen controls, I can’t even launch a game properly, because there’s no visible mouse cursor in the load screen. And the onscreen controls are sort of messed up: the right “thumb stick” emulates relative mouse, so you can’t turn properly. I have to swipe three or four times for a 360° spin for example. Also, inventory management is a pain.

I wish they’d simply implement absolute mouse, so I could tap the screen, and use hold & drag for inventory management.

But: as a proof of concept, it’s working nicely. Especially the UI scaling is great. I’m looking forward to future releases, and I’ll just keep the files on my internal SD (I don’t think it’s healthy to copy & delete 21.000 files over and over again).

SongJiang
    Participant

Morrowind… what an addiction

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.