Ultima V – Warriors of Destiny

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Al ex
    Keymaster

Version 1.3
    =========

Uploaded 2017-01-05

Download v1.3 – Smartphone Version –
    Created on a Galaxy S7 Edge, so this should work nicely on every 16:9 resolution smartphone/phablet/small tablet.

Download v1.3 – Tablet Version –
    Created on a cheap Galaxy Tab E T560. This tablet has a somewhat weird resolution of 1280×800, so some of the buttons might be a bit off if you import this layout to a true 16:9 resolution device. Simply rearrange the widgets if needed.

Info:
    Ultima V is an old game with clumsy keyboard controls, and no mouse control, so this is a pretty straightforward layout. My main goal was to reduce the sheer amount of onscreen buttons by combining two actions into one widget. To make things a bit more intuitive, I’ve tried to create logical combinations instead of simply following the alphabetical order. So it’s e.g. “Attack / Fire” and “Cast / Mix” instead of “Attack / Board” or “Cast / Enter”.

– Swipe up/down will hide/show the built-in Magic Dosbox keyboard (until v1.1)
    – Swipe right hides the arrow keys, swipe left brings them back on screen (added in v1.1)

What’s new:
    v1.3:
    – Added number keys, as they’re frequently needed (e.g. when resting)
    – Reduced double tap time from 300 to 200ms, to increase responsiveness on single tap
    – changed font from “Quest.ttf” to “FairyDust.ttf” for better readability (smartphone version only).
    – fixed some minor layout inconsistencies

v1.2:
    – Swipe up/down will switch between a custom keyboard I’ve created from scratch, and the ingame UI.
    The built-in Magic Dosbox keyboard is great, but for Ultima in particular, I wanted to keep the dialogue section of the game screen clear. inspired by Thumb Keyboard, I’ve split the keyboard in half, and arranged the key widgets on the lower left and upper right portion of the screen, so you can reach every key with your thumbs – you can keep your hands firmly on your device while typing. ?

I’ve changed the initial setup from expert settings to default (UI based). Simply pick “Ultima5.com” as game file, and “Setm.exe” as setup file, and you’re good to go.

ATTENTION: This layout was created for the upgraded version of Ultima V, using MPU401 General MIDI music. If you want music, you’ll either have to point the layout to a GM soundfont (for example the free GeneralUser Soundfont for Fluidsynth), or run setm.exe, and switch to Adlib/Soundblaster. The GeneralUser v1.47 soundfont sounds great, even better than MT32.
    Get the upgrade patch here.

Difference between the two versions:
    – The smartphone version has bigger key widgets, with a slightly different layout.
    – I’ve reduced the screen size (phone: 95%, tablet: 88%) to prevent screen blocking and increase readability of icons

Tablet version, ingame UI:

Tablet version, ingame keyboard:

Smartphone version, ingame UI:

Smartphone version, ingame keyboard:

Tartarus89
    Participant

Sorry for the duplicate post.

Tartarus89
    Participant

Very nice layout on this one. Always wanted to play the original Ultima 5 but was discouraged by the maddening number of keys I had to remember.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Thank you very much. Sadly, the amount of keys is still the same. 😉
    And despite being a big Ultima fan, I must admit that I have never finished this game, too. It went from Ultima IV directly to VI and VII, the latter still being my favourite rpg of all times. Though I have to admit that The Witcher 3 is about to top that list. An incredibly good game!

Spookeh70
    Participant

Hello, apologies for resurrecting an old thread. Love the custom keyboard you created for U5, thank you so much! Question: it is missing the U key, so I figured out how to duplicate the key. But I cannot figure out how to make it disappear like the rest of the keyboard on the down swipe. I also am not sure how to save it once I add it. Can you give me any help please? Thank you!

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yikes! You’re right, how could this happen!? ?

Anyway, it’s all in the “Switch keyboard/UI” widget, one of the four invisible ones in the middle that are only visible in edit mode. Thanks, I’ll correct that. ? Might work a bit on it anyway. I made this before layers were implemented, it can be done much easier now.

Spookeh70
    Participant

Thanks for quick reply! I was able to set it up as Hide Widgets: Vanish but can’t seem to make it toggle to Switch like the rest. What’s the secret for that?

Spookeh70
    Participant

NM, think I found it. Now to figure out how to save and I’m off to Britannia!

Al ex
    Keymaster

Ah, ok. Was just about to post a screenshot. ?

To save, simply press Q (for “Quit & Save”), it’s the only option in U5. You can also use the snapshot feature in mDosbox, but it might be unstable on rare occasions, so it doesn’t replace a proper savegame.
    Go and save the world! ??

Spookeh70
    Participant

I was referring how to save my changes to the keyboard/ui. I tried clicking on the save disk that pops up on the menu when I press back on my phone, but that didn’t work. Hmm.

Spookeh70
    Participant

the U key I added is functioning in reverse of the rest of the keys, it disappears when they appear and vice versa

Spookeh70
    Participant

And I fixed that too, had to set it vanish on startup like the rest of them. Whew. Learning process this morning 🙂

Al ex
    Keymaster

We’re getting there. I forgot, you also have to add the U key to the list in the “Hide keyboard on startup” widget. In that case, vanish is enough, no need to set the switch flag.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.