Ultima Underworld installation?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Reminiscence
    Participant

Hi,

I just bought Ultima Underworld 1 + 2 on gog.com. Downloaded the two games which are .exe files, but the question is how do I install them on my Android in MagicBox? I’m new to this so excuse my ignorance.

admin
    Keymaster

These exe files provides by GoG are usually windows installers. You must install them first on your pc with windows. Then go to installation folder and copy it to android device. Beware to rename folder to at maximum 8 characters if gog creates longer.

Reminiscence
    Participant

Tried that now, but it seems to have no basic exe files to install or to run the game, instead they place it automatically in their own software with its own dosbox app. A .gog file. It works on my PC but it’s a no-go on my tablet. Any idea what next? Thanks!

admin
    Keymaster

Gog uses dosbox for running ultima, that’s why there is dosbox folder. Copy installation folder to your tablet. Then, inside this folder is dosbox config file. Open it and under [autoexec] section are commands what must be applied to magic dosbox, but with fixed paths, based on your tablet. If there are common autoexec commands then is not necessary use mDosbox’s expert settings, is enough setup everything through GUI. Are you familiar with dosbox config?

Reminiscence
    Participant

Nope. It’s all foreign to me.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to help out though.

admin
    Keymaster

No problem

In windows, right click on game shortcut a open properties. There should be path to exe file. It looks like command line, behind exe are additional parametrrs, one should start -config or -conf. Behind this param is name of dosbox config file. Find it in installarion folder, open and copy/paste here its content

Reminiscence
    Participant

Here goes:

[autoexec]
    # Lines in this section will be run at startup.
    cls
    mount C “..”
    imgmount d “..\game.gog” -t iso -fs iso
    d:
    cls
    uw.bat
    exit

admin
    Keymaster

Copy folder where is game.gog to your device. In mDdosbox profile set drive c to this folder.

In cdrom section add new cd, type image and pick game.gog. enable cd aj cdrom

Main program set to uw.bat

Try this

Reminiscence
    Participant

Okay that works, to a certain extent. The uw.bat file is on the CD image (d:), but I’m not able to select it in the main program box. It’s just showing the c: folder I’ve set up. If I start the game and then manually change to drive d: then I can run uw.bat and then the game loads. So it works just not automatically.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Gog does weird stuff with its installations sometimes.
    Do the following: rename the file ‘game.gog” to “game.zip”, open it. Then extract the UW folder, and copy it to your phone.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Gog does weird stuff with its installations sometimes.
    Do the following: rename the file ‘game.gog” to “game.zip”, open it. Then extract the UW folder, and copy it to your phone.

admin
    Keymaster

Oh, I didnt notice that uw.bat is on image, sorry. Why gog did it, thats weird ! Yes, extract it like wrote Alex, that’s best

Should be good to see what is in that bat file

One though : you can set “setup” instead main program in game profile. Setup allows pick bat files from mounted images.

Reminiscence
    Participant

Hey. Did the unzip and it works! Buuuuuut, there’s no sound. I can live with that though. Thank you both!

Al ex
    Keymaster

Run UINSTALL.EXE in the UW directory, and select Soundblaster Pro for both music and sound effects. ?

Reminiscence
    Participant

Oh it’s uinstall and not uninstall! Oops. My eyes are playing tricks on me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.