Ultima 8: Pagan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    fiffi
    Participant

Hello gamers,

I wanted to give Ultima 8 a go, but I can’t get it started in Magic Dosbox. I’m at my wits end here, so I hope someone has some advice.

I have based my installation on the latest version from GoodOldGames, Ultima 8 Gold Edition. I use the GoG installer, and then copy the necessary files over to E:\ DosGames folder on my PC, and then start it on my DosBox under Windows. It seems to work perfectly. I have repeated this procedure several times.

When I copy the game catalog over to my tablet and make a profile, the result is always the same. When I start it, the Dos window starts, the U8.exe file is run, the screen goes black, and that’s it. It freezes and the only thing I can do is turn it off again.

I can’t find out what’s wrong, it should be compatible? I have tried making changes like turning SoundBlaster off, and changing what folder I use as C: in the profile (main folder or Ultima 8 folder). This game seems simple to get to work, there are no mounts or other things that can go wrong, as far as I can see. Whatever I do, the game freeze upon start.

I play on a Galaxy Tab S7+. I have also tested on my Samsung phone with the same results. Any hint is welcome. 😊 I can provide more details if needed.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

I remember something like this when I tried this game long long ago. Probably wrong sound card is set, probably midi, but mobiles have not midi, you must set sound blaster. Enable pc speaker in game profile, for every case.

fiffi
    Participant

Hello again.

Thanks for the tip, Bruenor, you’re right as usual. I just changed the music card in the sound setup and it all worked. I feel I should apologize for asking something this basic, it left me feeling slightly stupid. 😊 I guess it’s never too late to learn.

I just wonder why I never had this problem on other games. I usually just copy them over from my Windows PC, testing them there first and never touch the setup once I’m over on the tablet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.