Target Trouble

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Al ex
    Keymaster

Haha yes, they didn’t care much about smooth controls back then. But once you’ve gotten used to it, Ultima Underworld is actually very playable. Although I’m using a dpad (mapped to WSAD), I also have an extra “Walk” button (mapped to s) on the right side of the screen. This way, I can walk with the right thumb, and steer left/right with the left thumb. That’s much more convenient and precise. I only use dpad up (w) when I really need to run, e.g. when I want to take a long jump.

It might even be a good idea to have walk and run on the right, and only turn left/rifgh and strafe left/right on the left side of the screen.

fiffi
    Participant

Controls are a bit clanky, sure. But to be fair, this game was revolutionary when it came out. It must be the first game with a true 3D environment even if the monsters and NPC’s are just sprites. I remember being fascinated by the technology back when it was new.

I have been testing various pad and joystick solutions on Magic Dosbox, and I don’t know… I just prefer to use buttons like you can see on my screenshot. I’m not a big fan of frenzied action games. In a game like UW there is seldom the need to move very quickly, just the way I like it. I will probably have a go at Doom, Quake and Duke at some point, I might need to rethink my strategy then. When I use a pad on the edge of the screen, and then are watching the action of the screen, I feel that I lose control over where my pad finger is. There is nothing to hang on to.

The keyboard movements in UW was a pain, but when you can map them to widgets it gets much better. But jumping is still annoying. I have found that I can get by in many places by using the standing long jump (shift-J) if I position my character just right. And save before I try. 😊

My character is now at level 7 so I should be able to cast Levitate, but I lack the rune stones. I’m on my way now to take care of a troublesome Gazer on level 2 of the dungeon now, hopefully it has some good stones. But maybe the Gazer ends up taking care of me… 😊

Al ex
    Keymaster

Aw, sweet memories. 😍

That sense of sheer loniness in this game was absolutely unique back then, and it still works today. I have to get back into UW soon.

Miker
    Participant

I threw a couple more click/moves in and it worked for me too. Thanks

Mike

EDIT:

As mentioned, I went back in to continue my work, and it stopped working, lol.

so i did this and its working.

Ok dunno how to attach screenshot here so:

Absolute Mouse
    Click
    Mouse Claws: left
    Relative Mouse

Al ex
    Keymaster

Thanks, good to know. 🙂
    As for screenshots, you have to upload them to an image hosting website, then insert the link here.

Miker
    Participant

Ahh, ok, forgot thats a thing now…lol

Mike

Miker
    Participant

Ok I’ve never used an Image sharing site, so lets hope..

This is the simplest way I could figure on showing ONE of the issues. they’re a few.

Used star Commander in straight dos.. you can see the target and where it actually ends up.

Maybe move tbis back to the targeting thread..

MDB Target DS

woops!

Al ex
    Keymaster

Maybe you can fix that with mouse sensitivity settings? When you find the working values for absolute mouse, target should also work.

Miker
    Participant

Wow, ya that did it, just absolute mouse and target in DS.

I’ll keep updates as it’s worked before and ‘magoc’ly stopped working, will go in and work on my layers after work.

thanks

Miker
    Participant

Did some tinkering this morning with the Options menu using PT and DS, and it’s looking pretty impressive, the app did crash without warning or notification when trying to delete one of the locations, haven’t tried to recreate it though.

And yes it seems Absolute mouse does the trick, and rest for key send.

And since I’ve now been using absolute mouse for targeting where nothing is needed to be done I’m going to use that instead..

Still gotta make new layers for all selections in the game… But I started naming widgets in more of a programming format..

See how it goes.

admin
    Keymaster

Please how can i reproduce the crash? I like to fix that

Miker
    Participant

I’ll try now..

what it did is I’d hit the trash can on the 3rd PT down, and it’d completely blank all the icons, for that PT, I had to click PT number two and click back to three, I did it 3 to 5 times and it shutdown..

I’ll try to recreate it now.

Miker
    Participant

ok I tried to recreate the crash, how I knew it crashed is I usually leave MDB running on the background and just click on to continue whatever I’m doing, when it shut down, I clicked it and it went to the start of MDB.

I added 4 PT locations, the 4th one deleted you can see what happens till I eventually got to number one, where I’d assume I could’ve added another PT and got the icons back for number one…

What the screen shots are showing is me hitting the garbage button, and the icons vanishing till I click another and go back.

they all deleted till I got to number one.

PT icon vanishes

PT icon vanishes

Miker
    Participant

Alls I can say is do that till it happens, maybe something else was going on in background as I was working on the Daggerfall options menu which is shown.

I uploaded my .MagicBox if you want to use it for debugging. it’s the dark setup.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EVmhI87i5u3-lRKEA4hVExF6o90a0Sd3/view?usp=drivesdk

admin
    Keymaster

Thank I will debug it today/tomorrow.

If is app in the background then may be killed by system, whenever system makes this decision. In developer options is possibility to increase count of processes in the background.

But that menu acting is weird, i will check it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.