SVN Core with Win98

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Zeljko
    Participant

Hi all. Can someone tell me why I can’t play games in Win98 (from XDA site, Fallout 2 in win98) when I enable SVN core? Age of Empires, Age of Empires 2, Seven Kingdoms, can’t run them, I get an error, something about DSOUND.DLL. When I disable it, games do run, but the sound is way better with enabled svn core, it is like, clear sound.
    I know that when I used Exagear Strategies, I had to put dsound.dll in game folder, but what’s the deal here?

Al ex
    Keymaster

IIRC the SVN core setting is indeed messing up some things, and won’t go well with Win98. It’s rather experimental, and necessary for things like save states, but I would keep it disabled whenever possible.

But it shouldn’t affect sound at all. I found that for really clear sound, especially MT32/MIDI, you simply need to set mixer and soundcard frequency to 44100 or 48000. At 22050 or lower, sound is garbled. These higher frequencies should also have zero impact on performance.

Zeljko
    Participant

But why is there no music in Age of Empires or Age of Empires 2? I had it before on the same setup, except I was using Honor 10 Lite, now it’s Huawei p30.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hm, don’t have AoE2 on my phone atm. Let me check…

Al ex
    Keymaster

Ah wait, I’m playing it in a Win95 setup, because it’s more stable. The Win98 XDA build by RolandDeschain is pretty neat, but still very buggy for me. I was having all sorts of issues, so I stopped using it. IIRC, it’s actually Win98 lite, not “full” Win98. In Win95 at least, sound’s working just fine.

Zeljko
    Participant

Oooh, okay. Then I will install win95 like it is shown in magic dosbox yt channel. Thanks for the reply, best regards!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.