Screamer: Not working after exiting

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Xela86
    Participant

This game works great until I quit (which writes CHOICES.DAT) and re-open.
    When I open the game back up I get sound and no image. Deleting the save file above resolves this; however, this means no saving. Issue not present on PC, save file from Magic Dosbox works on PC also.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Are you running the game off an external sd card? If so, do you have full write access?

admin
    Keymaster

Allright, I tested shareware and it does not work in mdosbox neither ldosbox. But i dont have official full version, do you have official version from gog? Maybe is problem in linux branch of dosbox, i can check it on my ubuntu.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yikes! ? It used to work, I know because I’ve played this game quite a lot, and even built a profile for it. But I’ve just tested with my version (CD-ROM, from a games collection box), and I’m getting the same issue now.

admin
    Keymaster

Alex, can you try please with dodbox turbo or andosbox? I am now on meeting. I like to exclude arm8 build possible problem.

Al ex
    Keymaster

It’s working in Andosbox. Sluggish as hell, but I was able to load, play, exit the game, and reload.

admin
    Keymaster

Ok, in db turbo it works too. Ldosbox and mdosbox are on arm8. I can build 32 binaries

EDIT : I found something. With latest Android Studio I experience this and one other problem. With older android studio is everything allright.

I must check it deeper, one time it works and another time no, this is weird

EDIT2:

Seems ldosbox on arm8 cpu suffers of same issue. Please can someone confirm it too? To reproduce it do following : delete CHOICE.DAT, start game and race a bit with car. Quit game by pressing several times the esc key to dosbox console and restart dosbox. CHOICE.DAT should be now recreated. Startup should hang now .

Xela86
    Participant

Wow, you guys are right on top of things. I’m not sure my input is needed, but yes, I’m using the gog version. I’m running the game on internal storage. I probably have most of the dos games on gog and this one is the only one that’s given me significant issues so far(other than joystick support in World Rally Fever, which I have yet to troubleshoot).

Thanks for the follow up.

P.S. I had contacted you before regarding the font size on Samsung Galaxy S7, I was able to resolve it by increasing the zoom size in my display settings oddly enough. I thought I had followed up and found the email still sitting in my drafts. My apologies.

Al ex
    Keymaster

No need to apologize, thanks for the info! ??

Al ex
    Keymaster

As a little heads-up: lDosbox suffers from the exact same issue. So it’s not related to Magic Dosobox in particular, but seems to be a problem with the 64bit (dynrec?) core instead.

Older Dosbox ports, as well as the 32bit build of Magic Dosbox, are working, but there’s a huge issue with that: Google will drop supprt for all 32bit apps in 2021, which means developers won’t be able to upload new 32bit apps, or updates to existing ones. So the move to 64bit is kinda mandatory. ☹️

Xela86
    Participant

Well at least the second one doesn’t seem to be affected. I’ll just have to play that for my racing fix until the issue is eventually resolved (or better yet, Rally gets added to GOG).

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yeah, Rally is the best of the three. Though Screamer 2 is a great game, too. ?

admin
    Keymaster

It was fixed by M-HT, big thanks. Patch will be included in next version.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.