Save States

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    luizfeliperj
    Participant

Is it possible to enable save games is magic dosbox? Daums version has it. I suppose that magic dosbox inherits code from Daums so it would be fairly easy to enable it.

admin
    Keymaster

Hello,

No, Magic dosbox does not inherit from Daum build. It’s based on official version 0.74. Uses cpu core from daum build and some patches what were included to Daum build as well to Magic Dosbox. Then there are various differences due port to android. For example android 5 has special access to sdcard. Magic dosbox must ask to android for permissions objects on the fly, these can’t be saved. Then there is another side – compatibility with previous version. Almost any change to dosbox core breaks save states compatibility and your old save states become incompatible with updated sources. From beginning there is implemented save/load states, but this option is invisible to users, because many times produces broken save states. Will be nice to have this feature and I want return back to it’s development, but not now…

Best regards,
    Tony

Al ex
    Keymaster

Plus, ykhwong’s build is unstable and partially broken, and some features aren’t well implemented: just compare ykhwong’s lousy, distorted MT32/GM emulation to the perfect sound output in MagicDosbox :), or the save states you mentioned: they work 90% of the time, but they also break every now and then, which can be rather frustrating. And people would get mad if they paid for an app, and then e.g. Warcraft 2 wouldn’t run – which it doesn’t in the ykhwong build. At least the one I have on my PC.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m using ykhwong’s build myself most of the time, and I think it’s really cool because of its many features, but it has some nasty bugs that simply aren’t suited for a “professional” app release.

c704710
    Participant

I have a suggestion

Please include save states as a ‘hidden’ option. Something like going to Advanced Settings and tapping the IP button 13 times in a row. This would show a strong warning about the unreliability of save states and dragons will be dispatched to roast any users that try to ask for support or complain when the feature fails. And users who mention save state failure in a bad review may be reported to credit bureaus (I don’t suggest you actually do so). Then prompt for confirmation. Not yes/no confirmation, users must type “saves are un-rely-ible!” in a text box (misspelling intentional). Then whenever Magic Dosbox loads, or the user saves a state, a message overlay shows “saves are unreliable”. Properly warned, let users take the chance.

I would attempt to use the feature for games that crash frequently and have their own built-in saves that are not of the save anywhere anytime variety. Frustratingly, crashes seem to often happen _between_ progress and game save opportunities. Save states, for me, are merely a convenient failsafe option between conventional saves. If the state fails, there’s still the conventional save. I’ll chance it for the convenience if it works.

admin
    Keymaster

Save states are some time officially supported. A lot of work was done.

slydog3334
    Participant

How do I use save states?
    When I click on save it just goes back to the game and there’s no load button.

Al ex
    Keymaster

The load button is in the menu. The time travel thing.

slydog3334
    Participant

Awesome. Thank you.

Larrynho
    Participant

I understad that save states are accesible? I cant find the save/load button.

slydog3334
    Participant

While in your game, click the back button which opens up the menu. Then click on set time portal and then click on one of the slots to save the state.

To load the save state, from the same menu click on Travel and then choose your state. (your game needs to be loaded for the save state to load I’ve found)

Al ex
    Keymaster

Save states are only available when you check “Use SVN core”.
    As a nice little addition, both save and load state is also available in the “Special” widgets options then. ?

Larrynho
    Participant

Got it, thanks ! I LOVE savestates :p skipping loading times makes lots of game much more fun 🙂

Al ex
    Keymaster

Cool. ?
    It’s a bit hidden, but dead useful. Just make sure you also keep regular savegames, in case the save state gets broken. Can happen, especially on more recent DOS games, so it’s better safe than sorry. 🙂

Larrynho
    Participant

Hehe yeah thanks for the tip… Ive had hard times on the past with them… I mostly use them to skip loading times :p

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.