Rainbow 6 Original

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LappyGB
    Participant

Hi there,

I’ve followed the guide to install Win95 on Magic Dosbox and it’s fully working, no issues (thanks for the time put into that tutorial!). I understand exactly how to install games using img files, no issues there, tempted to ISO my original copy of Baldur’s Gate (5 discs) and see if I can get that installed. Just seems great to have all these old games readily available on my tablet with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

One game I’ve been trying to get working seamlessly for some years through a VM/Win 10 was the original Rainbow Six, but there always seems to be some form of graphical issue. I’ve got it running on Magic through Win95 with no issues, my only problem now is the frame rate is absolutely terrible (maybe 2-3), unplayable basically. Before I try and mess around with CPU settings that I have little understanding of does anyone know if it’s even possible to get a performance boost by tinkering with these?

Thanks in advance,

Lappy

Edit: After browsing other threads I see there are quite a few regarding improving Win95 performance, I’ll have a good read through.

Al ex
    Keymaster

You seem to kmow what you’re doing. ??
    Though I fear that apart from cycles=max 125%, and some frameskip, there isn’t much you can do to improve performance.

What device/cpu do you have? And how’s performance in other Win95 games, like e.g. Diablo, or Red Alert?

For Baldur’s Gate, I’d highly recommend the native Android port. It’s amazing, a fantastic adaption to touch screen devices.

LappyGB
    Participant

Yeah it would probably be a lot of fiddling around just to install off the 5 discs in one go.

I haven’t tried others just yet but Sim Tower was fine (expected), only thing was I had the base files but needed to download WING.DLL and a couple of sound files (DLL and INI) to the system folder.

I’ve got Warcraft 2 Battle.net edition and Warhammer Dark Omen, can give them a try. I’ll give Rogue Spear a crack as well. From everything I read in the past Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear were coded in such a way that they really don’t like modern hardware, whereas most other Win95+ games I’ve tried will work on Win10 in one way or another.

I’m on a Samsung Tab A 10.1 (CPU is Octa-core 2×1.8 GHz Cortex-A73 & 6×1.6 GHz Cortex-A53 and GPU Mali-G71 MP2).

Out of interest is there a downside to adjusting the windows resolution above 800×600? I tried another S3 driver and changed the monitor settings on a copy of the Win image which let me go up to 1600×1200 and it booted fine, wasn’t sure if it was a wise idea though.

LappyGB
    Participant

Also meant to mention, both Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear were on steam many years back but got pulled pretty quickly due to all the compatibility issues on modern systems, so probably explains it.

Larrynho
    Participant

Both Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear need a 3d card, so you are stuck to play in software renderer, so … bye bye fps.

No way to crank them up. Tried everything I could 😀 I used to LOVE Rogue Spear haha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.