analog stick on gamepad stops working when phone is oriented a certain way

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mister Scratch
    Participant

(note: original topic was “physical gamepad buttons work in mapper but sticks and dpad don’t”)
    ^topic. trying to get wing commander working and bought magic dosbox for the purpose. my gamepad sticks/d-pad work in retroarch and worked in various emulators and interfaces on my previous phone. magic dosbox seems to not be reading any input from them regardless of what mode i use (keypad with arrow keys, 2axis, mouse). the weird thing is SOMETIMES, TEMPORARILY they’ll work for like 30 seconds? idk i’m actually wondering now if my gamepad is just acting up because it’s low on juice, but it still works in retroarch? anyway I’m charging it and will update if that helps, and i can send any configuration files or whatever that might help.

my phone is an lg g7, and the gamepad is this thing here by beboncool with no clear model number or anything anywhere.

edit: ok i identified the problem more specifically below

Mister Scratch
    Participant

update! if i start up magic dosbox in portrait orientation, the stick works fine??? but then stops working if i rotate my phone to landscape mode at any point. wacky!

edit: ok landscape mode with the bottom of the phone (the one with the back/home/whatever buttons) on the RIGHT seems to work fine, as does switching between phone upright portrait and that. the stick stops working when i rotate the phone to have the bottom on the LEFT, and remains nonworking until i restart. i haven’t tried with the phone upside down. well, i guess i can still play wing commander if i sacrifice easy access to the volume buttons! what a bizarre bug.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

thank you for report, it sound really weird. Did you setup voodoo control/mapper correctly? And is mapper enabled? This is key to correct gamepad functionality.

Mister Scratch
    Participant

Yep! Everything actually works perfectly as long as the phone isn’t oriented in landscape mode with the bottom of the phone on the left. This is a fab port and I am having fun commanding wings with the phone oriented one of the ways that works, I just prefer the bottom on the left rather than the right because it gives me easier access to the volume buttons while the phone is in the gamepad’s clamp thing.

To reiterate, everything works fine unless the phone is turned sideways with the bottom of the phone on the left. This causes the analog stick to stop working until I restart the app. If I do not turn the phone that way the mapper works perfectly.

Thanks for prompt response time and lmk if you need any more information or whatever. This isn’t the most urgent thing in the world since it can be easily worked around, but it’d be cool to see it fixed down the road.

admin
    Keymaster

Thank you, I will check it today with my gamepads.

admin
    Keymaster

Can you try force mdosbox to “landscape mode” in advanced settings? Save it and restart magic dosbox. Does it work?

Mister Scratch
    Participant

That works, yes. The bug was only with the reverse orientation, though; the orientation that would be upside down relative to what landscape mode sets it to.

admin
    Keymaster

hmm, ok, I will check it, can you please post link to your gamepad specification? Is bluetooth or usb?

admin
    Keymaster

Is retroarch forced to landscape mode or allows orientation switching?

Mister Scratch
    Participant

It’s bluetooth, it has the same button labels and layout as an xbox pad, it’s by Beboncool? It’s this thing.

Mister Scratch
    Participant

retroarch supports orientation switching and works in all four orientations afaict.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.