Performance on various android devices

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    acrosstheline1
    Participant

Hello. It’s quite hard to find much information about the windows 95/98 and general DOS performance of different chipsets under MDB except for the few doom timedemo results that can be found in the forum thanks to @Al ex. Maybe we could take them and make a table or something (like the really old and outdated dosbox turbo one) so we can compare?

He seems to mention the Snapdragons being really bad. Is that the case with last generations of cpus or is it an assumption based on what was the case some years ago and the outdated information on the dosbox turbo page? Because he says they’re really bad for emulation in general (which doesn’t seem to be the case with the more current ones) and gives as an example bad ppsspp performance (which is weird as 820/21 and 835 are handling it quite a bit better than the Exynos and Kirin alternatives) and bad thermal performance (which, again, is not really the case since the 810 with its problematic 14nm technology) because of poor NEON IPC (which has supposedly been fixed with the 8– series). All that is stated on the old page that hasn’t been updated in years and most of it is not really true anymore. He mentioned making someone with 820 test it, what was the result and was it really that bad compared to the, let’s say Kirin 950’s ~900 realtics?

Also, I think having a general thread about publishing and comparing results would be interesting. As right now it’s pretty much impossible to find how the majority of the devices will handle as we have as a sample S7 Exynos, A5, Honor 8 (I think?) and some older devices. Gathering all the available results in one place will probably motivate more people to test it and share their too.

Sorry if the thread is not in the right place.

admin
    Keymaster

I think this is good idea. I will find time in next days and will prepare one page for this. I will put there for download doom time demo with mgc for import (and with manual setup instructions for free version). People can test their device and report result. I can add results to table, just like I do in section for supported games.

acrosstheline1
    Participant

Thanks a lot. I will test my Galaxy Alpha tonight and whatever other devices I can get my hands on in the future.

admin
    Keymaster

Don’t hurry. We should use the same config and probably same doom binaries. I recommend these steps :

1. create new profile
    2. set memory to 16
    3. Sound Blaster 16 (sound blaster 2 is faster, but does not work in all games – Fallout 1, Win95)
    4. automatic performance ON
    5. svn core ON

admin
    Keymaster

done, goto here

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.