network connection with ipx server

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    steevxx
    Participant

how do i use magic dosbox to create an ipx server/client configuration?

or at least how do I make it connect via emulated modem to a second android phone?

Ive seen the options in the game profile I created but I dont understand them.

I am playing heroes of might and magic which uses these two multiplayer connection options. This is not the only game that needs this so if anyone knows how to do this or can redirect me to the right sources that would be great.

Thanks.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

Look at this

Link above sets all in expert settings, but you can do all in magic dosbox game profile – you pick server or client, dont forget enable it.

It is easy. I think port must be on android 2000 and higher, less value is reserved for system. You must be connected to LAN, then you create server on first device, start game and check your ipadress in advanced settings (from general settings inside game). That ipadress you set on second device

This creates tunnel between two devices, but you must set yet the ipx in the game – server and client

steevxx
    Participant

Ok, so basically I cant use my wifi as a kind of medium (ie: no emulated ethernet connection via wifi)… I assume there is no real way to connect to my lan network without some kind of miniUSB to ethernet adapter for my phone.

Well, thank you very much! You have been a great help… Now I just need to find the right adapter.

admin
    Keymaster

IPX in dosbox is independent, does not matter how you connect your device in LAN

steevxx
    Participant

I understand, I was just hoping for some kind of way to make dosbox think I am connected to a LAN network but simply be connected to a second phone with something like wifiDirect. It sure would simplify multiplayer experiences.

admin
    Keymaster

Hm, I think I don’t understand…setup in magic dosbox is easy, but you still must set which device is server and which devices are clients. This is necessary setup which game needs, game needs to know what is server and what is client, else it cannot work.

steevxx
    Participant

Yes, I agree that the ipx setup in dosbox is easy. Now that you explained it I understand how to do it… but the problem is that for me to use the ipx network I still need a physical network connection to an ethernet or whatever. I dont have ethernet on my phone so I cant use the ipx settings. This is why I wish I had some kind of emulated ethernet that uses wifidirect to connect my two phones. If you know of any way to make wifi direct work as an ethernet network connection then that would solve my problem… and be awesome. The server and client settings wont help me if I dont have an ethernet… unless im confused?? Will the ipx work through the internet (or wifi)??

kasihom764
    Participant

Thanks for the Link the steps were easy to follow and were able to work.

admin
    Keymaster

You are welcome:)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.