Mouse sensitivity

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    robertre
    Participant

Hi,

Games like Descent, even with in game mouse sensitivity to max as well as magic Dosbox to high numbers, it still does not turn the ship fast enough.

Would be possible to have on magic Dosbox mouse configuration multipliers? Idea is to have magic grab mouse movement, multiply it by x & y (different for horizontal and vertical) before passing it to the game? Should compensate game lack of responsiveness. This should be game by game configuration as different games will behave different.

Thanks.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

Do you try virtual mouse (relative) or physical? Relative mouse has this option implemented

robertre
    Participant

Have it at relative and set sensitivity all the way to 1000, almost no change. Also, the mouse on descent options is all the way to the right.

Even with this, we have to slid almost twice to get the ship to turn enough.

Al ex
    Keymaster

I found this on the GoG forum: https://www.gog.com/forum/descent_series/way_to_increase_mouse_sensitivity_past_max_d1_2
    According to the last post, Descent has a fixed turn rate. Mouse acceleration only reduces the time until that turn rate is reached (which is almost immediately anyway). Hence you see now real difference between sensitivity 100 and 1000.

If that’s really the case, then it’s an issue with the game itself, and can’t be fixed with Dosbox mouse settings. 😕
    I’d have to test it on a real pc though for comparison.

robertre
    Participant

That sensitivity is on sdl section of windows Dosbox, we do not have it on magic. Using dxx-rebirth as this is a no brainer, it has been fixed there.

That’s why I suggest multipliers, maybe we can reach the in-game max faster.

admin
    Keymaster

We can try it, send me email please

admin
    Keymaster

I debugged it, event with big mouse sensitivity (4000) does not turn faster (tested with descent 1). It stops turning faster after reaching some value. I checked emulator in core and there is no limit on it, so it really looks like game has turn speed cap.

>using dxx-rebirth as this is a no brainer, it has been fixed there.
    You are right, but this is not the original game. Dxx-rebirth is (taken from web site) :

“DXX-Rebirth is a source port of the Descent and Descent 2 Engines for Windows”

It means, it is coded from scratch and has nothing to do with original dos game.

Al ex
    Keymaster

255 probably is the threshold, being Dosbox’s highest setting. The rest is handled by the game itself.
    Descent is very old and one of the first 3D games to offer some kind of mouse support, so quirks like this maybe are to be expected. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

superjarko
    Participant

hello gentlemen (I finally got my profile on magic dosbox because it was inactive for 3 years) I don’t want to start a new topic, because the problem is similar, can you do the joystick sensitivity option, the mouse has this option, I play the Chasm the Rift game and the joystick works too fast . the joystick should work like in RazeTouch. can this problem be solved

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.