Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    fiffi
    Participant

Here is my layout for Might and Magic: World of Xeen. It should also work for Clouds of Xeen, Darkside of Xeen and Swords of Xeen. World of Xeen is actually Clouds and Darkside merged together, while Swords is a stand-alone game. They all shared the same interface, so this layout works for them all.

Download link

This layout was made on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ with a 12.4 inch screen, so I’m not sure how it would look on a phone. Since my screen is so big, I have chosen not to let the game fill the it, but leave room for widgets on the right side and below. The bottom right corner I use as a mouse pad, you WILL need to use a mouse to navigate the menus and inventories.

There are invisible widgets all over the lower part over the game screen. The character portraits, movement arrows and the gem in the middle below the world view are all tappable. The up and down arrow can also be used to flip through some of the lists in the game, like the quest log.

The widgets on the right side are for the action icons on the middle, right side of the game screen. These icons change depending on you are in a fight or not, as you can see on the screen shots, so I made separate buttons for them. The tree black widgets on the top works both in a fight and not. The six red widgets are to be used in a fight, while the six green widgets work in peace time.

At the bottom from the right, you have a Interact icon. This does the same as clicking in the world view, and interacts with whatever is on the screen that is interactable. The Esc key should be self-explanatory. The thumbs up and down is used to reply to the Yes/No questions that pop up during play.

You will need to use the keyboard from time to time, to enter passwords, fast travel and such, so there is a button for that. Journal is for personal notes. Save preforms a quick save in the same slot as you used the last time, an idea that I found in ChrisG’s layout for this game. It pays to save often in this game, serious injury and death is never far away.
    Might and Magic flip

Finally, the Flip button. It’s actually two buttons on top of each other, executed simultaneously. They switch CD-images and send Enter, and are only relevant for the Good Old Games version of this game with full speech. You press this button when you get the prompt you see in the picture above. Note that pressing Ctrl+F4 and Enter does NOT work in Magic Dosbox, that only works in the normal Dosbox. You can read more about getting this game to work here. If you play any other version of these games you can remove those two widgets.

That’s it, I suppose. Enjoy. Or not… 😊 Let me know if the pictures or downloads does not work.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Very nice layout, well done! And I love custom made UI icons, they have such a unique vibe. 🙂👍

Al ex
    Keymaster

Btw, I like your avatar. Ultima 6 is my favourite Ultima game, along with UW1 (which isn’t a real Ultima, strictly speaking 😉).

fiffi
    Participant

Thank you, Al-Ex!

I have been testing Pixel Traps a little bit, and I’ve got an idea that I can use that and layers to hide and show the icons on the right automatically, depending on if we are in fight mode or not. And then I could also drop them on top of the icons as invisible buttons. So there might be a version 2.0 someday, we’ll see.

I love the Ultima games too, of course. That is why I chose the Avatar as my, eh, avatar. I started the series with Ultima 7 and the Underworlds, so they are closest to my heart. I have not played Ultima 6 yet, but I plan to. I’ve started working on Worlds of Ultima 1, and that has very similar interface as Ultima 6, is not that right?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yes, Savage Empire uses the same engine as Ultima 6, so except from the weird setting in SE, they’re pretty similar.

Al ex
    Keymaster

The Pixel Trap feature came up with that exact idea in mind, to be able to fully automate the process of switching through different layouts on different parts of a game (like game screen, inventory, options, etc).
    IMHO, this is one of the most advanced and coolest features of Magic Dosbox, I really love it. 🙂

SongJiang
    Participant

You can even use Pixel Trap for deeper functions, like changing how some games work to make them better with touchscreen. I did this for Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes. Pixel Trap are just miraculous.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yes, you can automate actions whenever a certain event changes certain colors on screen. I’ve been working on Ultima VI, Lemmings, and Ultima Underworld layouts with lots of automation during the development process, bur never finished them due to technical reasons at the time.
    Come to think of it, maybe I should continue to work on these layouts. 😇

Al ex
    Keymaster

No wait, my Lemmings profile is finished. I just couldn’t get absolute mouse to work properly. Will do some more testing with that one.

fiffi
    Participant

I definitely plan to play around with pixel traps, when I get a moment. Maybe I should give Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes a spin and have a look at your design, SongJiang. Never tried that game.
    A nice Lemmings design would be very cool. It’s my favorite puzzle game from back in the day.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.