Looping a combo to itself

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    xendelaar
    Participant

I’ve been trying to implement a turbo button on Magic dosbox for the game Xenon 2.

I initiate a combo that uses the following sequense:
    [combo 1]
    press “spacebar”
    delay 250 ms
    activate “combo 2”

[combo 2]
    press “spacebar”
    delay 250 ms
    activate “combo 1”

In my mind this would work perfectly, but in reality, nothing happens. If I break the loop, then the combo’s work.. but when I recreate the loop.. it doesn’t work

My question: how can I make a autofire, turbo button? Is this possible with two combo functions? or is there another way?

Edit: credits for autofire/turbofire combo idea go to reddit user: Larrynho

Larrynho
    Participant

As I told him, it was a quick idea that came over my mind :p I did not really test it, so I dont know if MDB allows combos calling other combos; Im sure that ither the DEV or Alex will come up with some idea 😀

Al ex
    Keymaster

You’re talking about rapid fire, right? Holding space bar in Xenon 2 kinda does that, but much too slowly, so there’s definitely a need for that.

Weird thing is, in theory, it should be possible to address another combo, as it’s a widget like any other. But I just tried, and nothing happens, so maybe there’s some quirk to it. ? I’ll try some other things, I could swear there’s some kind of auto repeat.

xendelaar
    Participant

Yes I was talking about rapid fire. In xenon 2 pressing down the space bar just won’t cut it.. but as I understand you’re familiar with the game. 🙂
    Thanks for all the help! For now I made a 10x press spacebar combo to make life a bit easier. But a rapid auto fire would be even better!! 🙂

Al ex
    Keymaster

Alright, I’ve passed your question on. I just remembered that I did discuss auto fire implementation with Tony (the dev) during a small side project of his (not Magic Dosbox related). Maybe he can come up with something.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Quick update: this might actually be a bug, I found that the combo widget combination is triggered once and then ceases to work. Stay tuned… 🙂

xendelaar
    Participant

It’s amazing how fast you guys are on this! Even though the problem is still not solved, you guys made my day!
    If there is anything I could do to help, please let me know.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Thanks, you’re welcome. ?

Seems to be a bit complicated to change the way combo widgets are working, so it’s more likely there’ll be an auto fire option added to the key widget settings. Not 100% sure, but that’s how things are looking right now. ?

admin
    Keymaster

Combo may be not suitable for everything, it executes on finger up and cannot be started again while is not finished, but in this case it should work, if we omit infinite loop problem. I will check it tomorrow, i must find free time, but probably autofire is more suitable for key widget

Al ex
    Keymaster

Just a quick heads-up @xendelaar: update is on the way, there’ll be an autofire option implemented for all key widgets.

xendelaar
    Participant

Cool! A new feature! 😀 Thanks for everything. Magic Dosbox is an amazing product!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.