Loading problem

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ScorhingCashm
    Participant

Hey guys new here,
    I’m having problem with app is that whenever I load the game it gives me error that I lost all the progress. Any idea why I’m facing this issue. Even I google around and search this in forum but no help.
    Waiting for quick reply.
    Help shall be appreciated.
    Thank you

Al ex
    Keymaster

You need to be more specific on that issue. Like, what game are you trying to play, and do you run it off your internal sd, or an external (if so, did you grant sd card access)? And which steps did you take so far to resolve the issue?

ScorhingCashm
    Participant

Thanks for the response Alex.
    I’m playing iron blood these days and so I reached to level 5 and I quit the just to have a rest. So whenever I start the game and load up it gives me this error “this state cannot be loaded at this time”. Even I try to loaded in the middle but still gives me same error.
    And about sd card you inquired well I’m running this internal card no external sd I’m using.
    Hope this will answer all your questions to resolve this issues.
    Thank you.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

this is message from save states. Unfortunately current save state implementation can’t load states across exeutables. It’s rare situation, to bring more light – in the ancient times did developers strange things. For example, you start game, but it can run first in background INTRO.EXE, at the end game quits INTRO.EXE and starts GAME.EXE. If you do save state in GAME.EXE and try load it during INTRO.EXE then you see this message.

Sometimes they did same things for level ups. The same happens in Alien Carnage.

Unfortunately, with current implementation you must first load game with normal game save system what brings you to correct EXE file and then you can load state.

ScorhingCashm
    Participant

Thank for the detail reply admin.
    I did all the things which you mentioned about INTRO and GAME.
    Unfortunately the game I’m playing has no save feature so that’s why I inquired about this issue.
    So if there’s solution please help me resolve this. I’ll be grateful
    Thank you

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hm, that game is really weird, I just took a look at the file list. It’s divided into multiple exe files (stage1.exe, stage2.exe, stage3.exe etc.). So when you launch the game, it will load stage1.exe, so the save state won’t find the stage5.exe it’s looking for.

This isn’t a particular Magic Dosbox issue, but a problem with the way save states are implemented in Dosbox. One of several reasons why the official Dosbox build does not support save states at all. So unless it is actually working in one of the unofficial PC builds, I don’t think it can be used on Android, either. You can head over to VOGONS (official Dosbox forum) of course, and look for a general solution there. ?

Always keep in mind please that the save state feature is in alpha state (and probably will remain there forever), and can cause a lot of grief. I’ve been using it on PC (ykhwong’s build) a couple of years ago, and came upon so many issues, I stopped using it altogether. It’s much more reliable these days in Magic Dosbox in terms of compatibility and stability, but some things just can’t be fixed, I guess. ?‍♂️

admin
    Keymaster

Hm and starting manually stage5 does not work?

ScorhingCashm
    Participant

Thanks Alex.
    I’ll look up in vogon. Hopefully someone will resolve the issue. I was not expecting this kind of a problem since I’m using mame,snes and amiga emulators. Their saves feature works perfectly.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yes, console save states work great, wish it was easy to do in Dosbox. Early computer systems are fine, too, because you can simply store the whole system state (C64 for example). But DOS or rather early Windows games can take up 256 MB of RAM, along with several CDs full of content. It would be a nightmare to get all this working without issues. 😉

@Tony: it says “Type IRON.EXE to launch Iron Blood”. ?
    Great idea though, there’s probably a simple command line switch that will bypass this message.

admin
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, there is nothing what you can find to help on vogons. I understand that this feature works in other emulators, to the time when you fall to complicated situation, like here. Other aspect is that PC was much more advanced then c64 or amiga, after all that’s why it raised, unlike others

ScorhingCashm
    Participant

Oh well let’s hope their next update will resolve the issue. Until then keep looking for solution guys.
    Thanks everyone for the quick response and kind reply.

admin
    Keymaster

Maybe running desktop dosbox in debug mode can display these parameters, or maybe they can be found on web

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.