Keyboard Control – Continous keypress

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jens
    Participant

Dear all,

I am trying to Run the old DOS-Game scroll-shooter game Raptor:Call of the Shadows. The Installation worked fine and the game rund rather well.

Since I own a BlackBerry KeyOne, I do already have a Hardware Keyboard. While it is possible to map the keys in the Setup, I unfortunately cannot continously press a key for Continous Action or navigation (e.g. keep pressing a key to keep moving in one direction). Same of course applies for the Android Software Keyboard.

I take it this has to do with the fact, that a long-press on a key in Android opens a context-menu when entering a Text. Can this somehow be turned off?

Kind regards,
    Jens

admin
    Keymaster

Hello,

seems like a issue of BlackBerry. Key UP on hardware keyboard is bound to dosbox’s key UP, the same is for key DOWN. Maybe your hardware keyboard does DOWN and UP immediately, I saw it few times in the past, but it is not common. Do you map keys in magic dosbox’s voodoo control/ mapper menu?

Virtual keyboard is special and depends on developer, include all settings, there are keyboards like hacker’s keyboard which is very near to desktop hardware keyboard. This is reason why magic dosbox has own virtual keyboard, we have full control and we can fully control dosbox.

Do test: Create new game profile and start to black console. Press key ‘a’ on your hardware keyboard and hold it, what happens? Is this letter duplicated in command line?

Jens
    Participant

Hey there,

thanks for your quick reply. As to your question: The Letter isn’t duplicated – instead the Android Keyboard Menubar pops up and asks what Kind of special or capital ‘A’ I want to write.

This does not happen with your virtual keyboard included in the Software, but I find it rather difficult to use.

I map the keys within the game’s Setup itself.

Kind regards,
    Jens

admin
    Keymaster

We are talking about hardware keyboard, right? Or virtual? Its important.

Al ex
    Keymaster

He’s talking about a hardware keyboard.
    The problem seems to be that the Blackberry devs tried to be smart, and made it act like a normal Android soft keyboard. Is there any way for you to change/disable that in your phone’s settings, @jens?

admin
    Keymaster

Ah, ok. Yes, Alex is right, if it can’t be disabled somewhere then I can’t do nothing, it is out of magic dosbox app 🙁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.