Floppy Disks for Sherlock Holmes The Case of the Serrated Scalpel Don't Work

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    philthethrill
    Participant

I bought the floppy disk version of The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes The Case of the Serrated Scalpel on Amazon.com. I tried to install it on my Windows computer by using DosBox so that I could move the installed files to my Chromebook. I bought an external floppy drive on newegg.com, an electronics website. The installation program couldn’t read the floppy disks. I tried recovery programs but they said the disks were not formatted properly or they were corrupted. What should I do with the floppy disks?

Al ex
    Keymaster

The game is 25 years old, the disks are most likely corrupted after all this time.
    Or you can keep it, for nostalgia (I can’t recommend you *officially* to download it, of couurse…?)

philthethrill
    Participant

I don’t need to download it Al ex. I already have the CD version and I made an iso. I bought the floppy version by mistake. I thought I was ordering the CD version. I got the external floppy drive because I thought I could easily install the game from the floppy disks. Now I have a bunch of corrupted floppy disks sitting around that I can’t return because I bought the floppy disk version last year. I have no use for the external floppy drive either. I was planning on buying more floppy disk games to play on DosBox but after this incident I’m not going to bother. I can’t return the floppy drive either because I bought it last year. Any suggestions on what to do? I’m not big on collecting things that I will never use.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Ah, OK. I thought you had just ordered it, and it’s wonderfully easy to refund stuff on Amazon. 🙂

Alright. In this case, it’s either throw it all away, or sell on ebay. I avoid ebay for small stuff, because it’s not worth the hassle IMHO, but perhaps you can make a few bucks.

philthethrill
    Participant

I’m just going to throw away or recycle the floppy disks and the external floppy drive unless you know someone who would want them.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Lol, no. I don’t even know someone who’d want my external DVD drive anymore. 😉

philthethrill
    Participant

I’d take it off of your hands if my chromebook supported DVDs. It would save me time of converting my DVDs to video files.

Al ex
    Keymaster

I’m still using it occasionally, to rip audio tracks from CDs or DVDs. So I don’t really want to give it away, but that’s about it. I’m hardly using my Bluray player anymore, either. It’s Amazon all over my place now… 🙂

philthethrill
    Participant

The same could be said about my garage. My brothers and I have a lot of video game systems and games that we can’t part with.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yeah, going through the stuff in my basement is sort of like digging up dinosaur fossils. C16, C64, NES, SNES, dozens of spare PC parts from 286 up to Core2 Duo stuff, etc., etc. Plus lots of matching games. ?

philthethrill
    Participant

Wow. I would love to see your collection. It would be like going to a museum.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.