Fallout 2 DirectX error

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    codehobbyist
    Participant

I get an directx not loading error after installing unofficial patch on win95 through mdosbox. I do not get this error with the official patch. I have installed DirectX 3, DirectX 5, and DirectX 8. The Unofficial patch files seem to include DirectX 9 files though 9 is not supposed to be supported by Windows 95. I feel like I should be adding DirectX files to the game folder. Does anyone have a solution to this? I’ve been searching and trying to find an answer for 3 days and can’t seem to find a solution. Thanks!

Facko
    Participant

It’s possible to run 98 in magic dosbox but it isn’t always stable. Restarting till it’s stable isn’t uncommon for me. Installation was a pain, went back and forth with parts of the installation on dosbox daum on my pc and in mdb on my phone but it worked. It’s even kinda tricky getting directx 9.0c to install. Think I had to use the 9.0b installer with the c files… been a while.

Archived a bunch of different clean installs of 95/98 with different versions of direct x to avoid future headaches…

Without knowing much about the fallout patches using win98 is about the only thing I can suggest.

codehobbyist
    Participant

Thanks for you input. Funny enough, I am currently creating a win98 install on vbox for this exact reason. It just seems like the best option. I have been playing on my desktop and I’m hoping to be able to transfer my save to my phone or tablet for when I don’t want to be or can’t be at my desk. Time will tell…at least win98 can handle dx9.

codehobbyist
    Participant

Wanted to come back and say I ended up going another route. My ultimate solution to my problem was to completely forget about emulation and instead use steam link or moonlight (I have both set up) and stream the game from my computer to my phone. I can modify virtual buttons, use a controller, or use a mouse via touch screen this way.

Larrynho
    Participant

Just saw this post.

For me to get F2 to work I had to install the Restoration patch on the original F2 install to make it win98 compatible, and on a clean w98 install with drivers, I installed directx 9c ¿ I think it was 9c ?.

For me it works flawlessly.

codehobbyist
    Participant

Hmm. Thanks for your comment. I basically get the same result with SteamLink but it’s streaming from my PC instead. They both have pros and cons. SteamLink uses data when away from home and only allows so many configurable buttons on screen…but I can just use the GOG version of any old game without worrying about the quirks of Windows 9x and incompatibilities. Magic Dosbox requires setup of individual games and other issues that come with emulation (having to have specific files, etc) but no data usage. I tried Exagear and even though it’s easier to setup, Magic Dosbox has better on-screen control configurations. Just to save myself headaches, I think I’m going to just continue to use SteamLink for remote play. All it takes is installing GOG or Steam game as normal and then adding non-steam game if necessary, setup controls, and play. I can also use this for the latest AAA games as well. SteamLink is free, as well. I had no problem playing Ultima Underworld 2 with a controller though Magic Dosbox which was fun. I own it and I’m sure I’ll put it to use again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.