Dungeon Mapper

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Hi people,

“I Have a Dream” was told many years ago by MLK. Everyone has a dream, I accomplished one few years ago, I could play old rpg and dungeons on device in my pocket with magic dosbox, I was happy. I put every piece of me into this application. But games without implemented auto map was always hard to play. Android is limited and is far from desktop operating system, standard ways how to have game and mapping tool simply does not work. Was always hard to record my progress in dungeons without well working tool. So I started simple project with many dead ends, but finally I am able make simple maps 😀

I am uploading small preview for my dungeon mapping tool. Is still in alpha stage, occasionally crashes here and there, but working on it. I start mapping my favorite game Might & Magic 1. First town is almost finished and serves for testing “what should I add, what should be improved”. It runs in popup over magic dosbox. You can hide/show it with button.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Nice teaser, great looking tool! ??

Merry Xmas everybody! ?

Aaron_Blain
    Participant

Whoa! This is great! I haven’t checked the forum in a few months because my new obsession is Spiderweb Software. This is a great surprise!

I bought some M&M games on GOG but haven’t had the chance to get into them yet because most of my gaming is ‘on-the-go’. My main experience is with the Gold Box games, which give you an incomplete automap, which is usually enough to muddle through.

I would think that the most important things are being able to document the actual floor plan, and being able to place notes on certain tiles. With just those two features, you should be able to play most games properly, right?

I have one (very low-priority) idea: what about a line tool that lets you connect two squares arbitrarily? I think you occasionally have weird ‘teleport’ type squares, but also a line tool would let this app double as a mapping tool for text adventures and other games where the world is a graph rather than a grid. That’s another genre I’d like to get into but it’s just not possible without pencil and paper.

Might be good to have cut/copy/paste in case you realize you’ve made a mistake and you need to shift part of your map around.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi, I work on copy paste feature. I want have it in first release.

I implemented widget of teleport type for connection from one place to another.

Btw i fully dont understand what you mean with line tool. Can you explain it a bit more?

Aaron_Blain
    Participant

I think we’re talking about the same thing, just a tool to draw a line connecting any two squares, like if there’s a teleporter, or to show how two different map pieces connect.

I was just saying that a simple Line tool would make it possible to map games that don’t have a grid.

I suppose MAYBE a free-hand drawing tool would be useful sometimes too, but also not important.

Here’s an example of what I mean:

Colossal Cave Adventure

I know, not really your priority for this app, but I thought I’d mention it in case it’s a simple addition.

I can’t think of anything that would really be necessary for utility — it sounds like you already have it covered.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Colossal Cave Adventure? Nice, it doesn’t much more retro than that. 🤓👍
    I like your ideas, they all sound really useful.

admin
    Keymaster

Ah yes I understand now, good idea. Just now it works for grid games, maybe later I can add free painting. Just now I didnt add hexa or octa maps, only simple squares. This covers majority of dos and adnd games, just now, before first release I dont want make big turnings which are out of current context before, there are couple things which I muat finish yet. But i hear every idea, I like it, it helps apps to grow

Aaron_Blain
    Participant

Yeah, I think you have the basics already covered here. I personally don’t need any frills. It was the only idea I could think to add, but if your map data format doesn’t already use some kind of bitmap layer, it would obviously be significant extra work to add freehand painting.

I think you already have everything we need here. I am currently ‘faking’ my way through Pool of Radiance, trying to just remember more or less where things are, but I could really use this tool. I keep wasting time wandering around.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.