Duke nukem 3d too slow

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    The Game Foxx
    Participant

Hi. Im a new user in trouble. Tech support has been fantastic with my issues but now they suggested i try my luck on the forum. I am trying to run duke nukem 3d, easily my favorite dos game. After some sound issues the game finally boots… but its slow. I read that setting cycles to max can help with that, so i did. No noticeable change to the framerate. I am using a samsung galaxy s7, so i know my device is powerful enough. Does anyone have any advice? I was told by tech support someone who goes by alex may be able to help.

Any help is appreciated

Al ex
    Keymaster

Lol, hopefully.?

First thing to do is enter your game profile settings by long-pressing the icon, then tap “Edit”. Scroll down to “Performance”, and check “cycles: max”.
    That should already do the trick, at least on the Exynos S7 variant, which is imctedibly powerful when it comes to emulation.

If your S7 has the Snapdragon chipset instead of Exynos, it may be too slow to run Duke 3D at higher settings. In that case, you need to launch the setup.exe in the Duke3D directory, and select a lower video mode, e.g. 640×480, or 320×200.

The Game Foxx
    Participant

Yahoo! I set the resolution to 640×480 but that didnt help, but 320×200 did the trick! The game runs at a proper speed. I do have a snapdragon processor so that might have been the issue. My phone can emulate dreamcast games so i didnt imagine dos would give me trouble. At any rate thank you so much! Im gonna get the donator version for sure now, hopefully i can get blood and dungeon keeper working as well.

A+ help, thank you!

admin
    Keymaster

In Blood you can face the same issue, just change resolution to 320×200 and it should work.

Dreamcast, I think, is GPU more dependent, unlike dosbox which needs CPU.

I know that dosbox has many places which can be optimized, f.e I read post on vogons in which one guy talks about improving cpu emulation by 25%, hope it will be reality in near feature

Al ex
    Keymaster

@Pokemologist You’re welcome. As a rule of thumb, Exynos=much better cpu, Snapdragon/Adreno=much better gpu.
    If you’re rooted, you can set performance governor for some extra speed boost. That helped a lot on my SD805 Note 4, though it caused quite a lot of cpu heating.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.