Dark Sun Problems

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ultramegatiny
    Participant

Hi, everybody. New Magic Box user here, couldn’t be happier with it except one thing.
    I can’t seem to run either Dark Sun Shattered Lands or Dark Sun Wake of the Ravager.
    Every other game, I just type the name of the exe at the prompt and it runs fine, but with the Dark Sun games, I’m having no such luck.
    They’re the GOG versions of the games and they both work fine on my laptop, so I don’t think the files themselves are the problem.
    I should be able to just type “dsun” at the prompt, but it’s not working. With Shattered Lands, it brings up this “ghostly” image that quickly fades and then it kicks me back to the prompt. With Wake of the Ravager, it just says “file not found.” Back to prompt.

There’s also a start.exe for each game and I tried that, but it just did nothing. Straight to prompt.

I’d sure appreciate any and all help anyone can offer. Thanks!

adminadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

In installed gog folder should be dosbox config files. They should be on same level like dosbox folder. Please find these configs and paste them here, you only need paste config which contains at the end [autoexec] section.

Al exAl ex
    Keymaster

GoG games often have tricky setups for Dosbox, so it probaly something to do with your mounting commands.
    The Ultima Underworld version for example was a pain to setup, too, because they’re using multiple .conf files at once.

I don’t own the game myself, so I can’t test. But if you post a link to your game profile, I’ll have a look at your settings.

ultramegatiny
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response!

I fiddled around with it last night and found a solution for Shattered Lands. I’m going to post it here in case anyone else has problems with it and they find this post. The solution is simple.

I ran the sound_ds.exe and did the sound setup. Then I ran dsun.exe and the game worked normally. That’s it.

As for Wake of the Ravager, I did some reading on it and it turns out the game itself has some fundamental problems unrelated to dosbox. Apparently it was really buggy at launch.
    The GOG version comes with a patch.exe.
    I tried running the patch and the sound_ds.exe with no luck. Tried it in different orders, nothing.
    But the game does run on my laptop.

Here’s the autoexec portion of the Wake of the Ravager .conf file.

[autoexec]
    # Lines in this section will be run at startup.
    # You can put your MOUNT lines here.
    @echo off
    cls
    mount c “..”
    mount C “..\cloud_saves” -t overlay
    imgmount d “..\game.ins” -t iso
    c:
    goto launcher

:launcher
    cls
    ECHO [1;33m [42mÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
    ECHO º —————————————— º
    ECHO º Dark Sun 2: Wake of the Ravager Launcher º
    ECHO º —————————————— º
    ECHO º 1) Dark Sun 2: Wake of the Ravager º
    ECHO º 2) Game DOS Settings º
    ECHO º —————————————— º
    ECHO º 3) exit program º
    ECHO º —————————————— º
    ECHO ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ [0m

choice /c123 /s Which program do you want to run? [1-3]: /n
    if errorlevel 3 goto exit
    if errorlevel 2 goto setup
    if errorlevel 1 goto game

:game
    cls
    ravager
    goto exit

:setup
    cls
    sound
    goto launcher

:exit
    exit

……….

Thanks for the help!

Al exAl ex
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s the “tricky setups” i was referring to. Someone over at GoG really loves to code DOS batches. 🤓

Anyway, you will probably have to configure Magic Dosbox using the [autoexec] section at the bottom of the expert settings. That’s the equivalent to the .conf file (in fact, it is the .conf file). And here’s where the fun begins. 🙂

(1)
    Forget about the whole part starting with “goto launcher”; that’s all just a gimmick to allow you access to the setup.

(2)
    All you need is this part:
    mount c “..”
    mount C “..\cloud_saves” -t overlay
    imgmount d “..\game.ins” -t iso
    c:

(3)
    In your case, let’s assume the game files and the game.ins image are on the internal sd card, in a folder/subfolder called “DOSGames/Ravager”. In that case, you should type something like this:

mount c /storage/sdcard/DOSGames
    imgmount d /storage/sdcard/DOSGames/Ravager/game.ins -t iso
    C:

(4)
    If the mounting is correct, and you’ve set the “expert settings” checkmark, the profile will boot into DOS, to your virtual C:\ root (the “DOSGames” folder on your sdcard).
    Now, type (and hit enter) either “D:” to access the cd image, or “cd ravager” to enter the game directory. From here, you can launch the setup, configure the game, and run it. If everything works as intended, add these two lines to the autoexec section, so the game will autostart next time:

cd ravager
    ravager
    exit

This will autostart the game when you launch your profile, and shut down the profile automatically when you exit the game.

Hope this helps… 🙂🤞

ultramegatiny
    Participant

I followed your instructions and applying the mounting instructions worked exactly as they should.
    But when I go to run the game, it just crashes me out of dosbox.
    I tried running it with and without running the sound setup and the patch, every different combination. The crash is the same each time when I change to the Ravager directory and run the ravager.bat.
    It still doesn’t even recognize the dsun.exe.
    Very weird!

As far as I can tell, there doesn’t seem to be a CD image file. That would be an iso file, right?

Whether or not I get it running, I really appreciate your help. I feel like I’m now a little better equipped to deal with future problems with other games just knowing about the expert commands feature.
    Thanks!

Al exAl ex
    Keymaster

Hm, let’s see. Yes, if it’s looking for the CD, it’s the game.ins file you need. GoG are using weird iso file extensions, but they’re basically just iso files. After all, Dosbox must be able to access them.
    Can you change to drive D: in Magic Dosbox?

Maybe another solution: I take it you preinstalled the game on your PC? GoG installs games to a subfolder, but mounts that folder as “C:\”. I wouldn’t advise to do so, simply because IMHO no game should be installed to C:\, but that’s just a habit of mine. Try this:

mount c /storage/sdcard/DOSGames/Ravager
    imgmount d /storage/sdcard/DOSGames/Ravager/game.ins -t iso
    C:

If that doesn’t help, but you can access drive D: in Magic Dosbox, try a complete reinstall, so the game will get the correct path settings.

ultramegatiny
    Participant

I can change to drive D no problem.
    I don’t have an sd card, just the internal storage of the phonem. It’s a OnePlus 7 pro. No SD card possible, just the 256 gb it comes with.

So my path is “drive D is mounted as /storage/emulated/0/dosgames/Ravager/game.ins”

When I change to D: and type “Ravager,” it just crashes. Seems like that should run the game, but it just doesn’t work.
    In the game files, there’s a ravager.bat and a dsun.exe.
    I could have sworn I used to just type dsun and it would run many years ago when I played the game on actual dos.
    Anyway, when I mount the d drive as you described and switch to D: and try typing dsun, I get this:

DARKSAVE.GFF to DARKRUN.GFF failed. Path = D:\

Al exAl ex
    Keymaster

Uh, so the initial mounting was probably better. I’m almost tempted to buy the game, only to try this out.

In the profile settings, do you have SVN core enabled? If so, please turn it off (or vice versa). Switchting between vanilla Dosbox and SVN can sometimes fix crash issues.

ultramegatiny
    Participant

Nope, I didn’t have SVN enabled.

Oh, well. Honestly, the game really isn’t as good as the first one anyway!

It’s just that thing where you can’t get something to work and it becomes more about getting it to work than actually playing the game. Haha

I appreciate all the help. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the issue is user error on my part.

The first game, Shattered Lands, is a really great RPG. You get both in one collection on GOG. It goes on sale fairly often for like $5.
    If you ever get the game, I’ll be very curious to know if you find a solution.

Thanks again!

adminadmin
    Keymaster

Alex is right, looking at the config file, you only need mount drive c to folder in which is the iso file, then mount iso file and run ravager from subdirectory to directory in which is iso file.

Do fresh copy from pc and dont forget “safely remove device” on windows taskbar

Al exAl ex
    Keymaster

|it becomes more about getting it to
    |work than actually playing the game.
    |Haha

Lol I’m with you on that. I just *hate* it when I know I’m close, but can’t quite figure out what’s wrong. Can be anything, even a simple typo (that’s my signature mistake 😉).

If I get my hands on the game, I’ll see what I cam find out. As a general rule, if it’s working in Win/Linux Dosbox, it’s also working in Magic Dosbox.

ultramegatiny
    Participant

Admin, there is no iso file.

Al exAl ex
    Keymaster

He’s talking about the game.ins file. GoG have a habit of renaming iso files to something unrecognizable. 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.