Daggerfall gives black screen on immediate startup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    epoch32
    Participant

Whenever I open daggerfall, it gives me just a blck screen. All paths are correct including the one in z.cfg. i copied the files from daggerfallsetup from my pc then I did some tweaks so it will work properly. Please help.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Have you requested sd card access in Magic Dosbox Global settings? Google is using some crap file restrictions since Lollipop. Tap “Request permission”, then select your sd card from the Android documents manager.

If you’ve never done so before, you will probably have to tap the dot menu in the top right corner, and select “show sd card” (or something like this).

epoch32
    Participant

Actually, I have the game installed in sdcard0 which is the internal one. Plus im running android KitKat so I can’t request for permission.

Al ex
    Keymaster

OK, question answered. 😉

Can you please post your mountings here?
    Or you can try my config here: https://magicbox.imejl.sk/forums/topic/daggerfall-2/
    You only have to adjust the autoexec section in expert settings. This config is 100% working with correct mounting commands. I do remember that I was having some general trouble getting this game to run in Dosbox, it’s very picky.

epoch32
    Participant

C: drive is dagger directory since it reflects what’s written on z.cfg (path=c:\arena2) But I have yet to try your .mgc. Hopefully it works!

Al ex
    Keymaster

Ah yes, the z.cfg… try this one, that’s the one I’m playing Daggerfall with.

Contents:

type dfall_huge
    path C:\Dagger\arena2\
    pathCD C:\Dagger\arena2\
    fadecolor 0
    mapfile d
    rendergame 1
    user 1
    startMap 179
    region 17
    helmet 0
    maxSpeed 200
    #controls viewplyr.dat
    controls betaplyr.dat
    maps mapsave.sav
    CHEATMODE 0
    MagicRepair 1

epoch32
    Participant

Thanks! Your z.cfg did the trick. It seems thst offending line was objectmemory 20000 and texturememory 20000. Apparently these line can have performance benefits but seems that it doesn’t work in magic dosbox.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Great!

I was having identical issues in my Win64 Dosbox and Magic Dosbox, so when I had finally managed to setup this thing, I simply copied the game folder + the dosbox.conf settings to my phone + into my expert settings in Magic Dosbox. Adjusted mountings, done.
    That’s my standard approach, because it’s much more convenient to fix such things on a big screen, with keyboard and mouse.

epoch32
    Participant

Also how come that if I increase cycles to 15000 the game feels smoother but menus, sound and music are choppier?

Al ex
    Keymaster

In some cases, the menus are awfully heavy on the emulation. Warcraft 2 is the best example, it’s a pain in the main menu, but running butter smooth even on weak devices.

Depending on your device, it doesn’t matter much. My S7 Edge (Exynos) can handle all this easily. But on Snapdragon cpu’s in general, or older phones/tablets, performance issues can occur.

I’d suggest you use either cycles=max 105%, or, more elegantly, the auto/limit cycle option:
    cycles=auto xxx yyy% limit zzz

• “xxx” is the minimum value, forced on the cpu if necessary, which can even lead to sound stuttering
      • “yyy” is the max % value. 105% is the highest setting, and will tell Dosbox to run at max 105% whenever it can go faster than the initial “xxx” value
      • “zzz” is the upper limit. It prevents Dosbox from exceeding a certain amount of cycles. This is useful to prevent speed inconsistency. You can set this to 1000000, but in this case, you might just as well use cycles=max 105%.

I just saw that I made a mistake in my .mgc file: it says cycles=auto 30000 105% limit 30000, which is of course rubbish, because it forces Dosbox to run at 30000 fixed cycles.

So I’d suggest something like this: cycles=auto 10000 105% limit 30000

epoch32
    Participant

Thanks, seems to work noe but game is very laggy but, playable. Using the view mode rn so I can have mouselook.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

in addition to Alex, change (in game profile and probably in game setup too) sound blaster 16 to sound blaster 2.0. It gives better performance. Skip midi, is heavy on emulation.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Oh yes, good addition. General Midi / MT32 has a big impact on emulation speed, about 10-20%.
    And make sure to set prebuffer=0 (pre-set in my .mgc file). Doesn’t impair sound emulation, and on my old Snapdragon 805, it gave a nice boost compared to the default prebuffer=15.

epoch32
    Participant

Thanks for the tips! Also Is there a way to minimize graphics detail?

Al ex
    Keymaster

IIRC, there’s a detail slider im the Daggerfall menu.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.