Combo inconsistently triggering key press

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    slipgatekid
    Participant

I have been developing a cool control setup for Daggerfall that works pretty well. However, I have noticed combo buttons that use a key press action activate the key press inconsistently. As you can imagine this is pretty bad for most gameplay situations. Replacing the combo buttons with key press buttons solves the inconsistency but you loose the enhanced funtionality that comes with using the combo button. This seems like a bug of some kind. I was wondering if it was tied to framerate or some other similar performance metric… My framerate in Daggerfall isn’t that great… Any help with this would be appreciated.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Sometimes the game can’t keep up with the speed of the combo action. Try to insert a pause of, say, 50ms between each combo action.
    I had to do so e.g. in Diablo, to use mouse reset after the (i)nventory key.

admin
    Keymaster

Yes, Alex is right. Imagine, that your game runs very slowly and combo sends keys at standard rate, game accepts one key, but may skip second.

I am doing now something similar in Wizardry 7. This game has stupid system for showing minimap, however can be fixed with deadly strike. But here is problem, that I must wait for showing character screen who holds map kit. However character screen appears in range 300ms-2seconds. I don’t know why.

slipgatekid
    Participant

@Admin

This doesn’t seem to be the case here. I am only sending one key press event along with some hide widget events or a layer visibility switch. Even after I set the delay of the key press to be 100ms the key press event is still inconsistent. This feels like a problem with the widgets system.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Mh, if your framerate is too low, the keypress might indeed get swallowed. But in this case, also a normal key widget, or input with an external keyboard should be inconsistent.
    Care to share your Daggerfall profile here? I could test it on my phone, and see how it behaves.

admin
    Keymaster

I can look at this. Please export game profile and maybe save game, or can it be tested in new game?

slipgatekid
    Participant

I’d be happy to share my profile and save game. Just need a bit to get it together.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.