Can't open xxxx

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    pdedinski
    Participant

I am running Magic dosbox on an Xiaomi A2 device, upgraded to Android 9
    Since I got the upgrade to Android 9 I have this weird behavior.
    Every game I have installed prior to the upgrade runs just fine without issues. However I cannot run anything new after the upgrade and it behaves really strange. Let me explain
    For example I am trying to run Jagged Alliance : Deadly games.
    1. I copy the game cd image to the phone sd card
    2. Copy the game installation to the phone sd card
    3. setup MDB configuration for the game (mounting the CD to the right letter)
    4. I try to run the install program of the game.. it runs fine, but when I try to select sound driver it says ‘Can’t open xxx’ (xxx being the driver file, which is there and not missing)

I have similar behavior with Daggerfall and every other game I try after January (when the phone got its OS update).
    Interestingly enough it can run the executable files, and even make game installation (copy the game files) from the game installer from the CD, but cannot access the driver files.

Any insight on the topic would be helpful. I do not want to re-install Magic Dosbox as I fear I might lose even the games I can currently run. Thanks

Al ex
    Keymaster

Have you activated sd card access? It’s in global settings -> request permissions.

admin
    Keymaster

Yes, Alex is right, xiaomi was many times shipped with sdcard write access, but they could change it with update.

pdedinski
    Participant

Hello, thanks for responding

Yes, I have requested SD-card access and pressing ‘Show Detected storages’ button lists it as ‘Full Access’
    And as I mentioned I already have some games that I am able to play, even create game saves. The issue is only with the new games that I am trying to add. And when I mount a CD image and run the original game installer to copy files it can do so, so the issue is not with the SD card access itself.

And a little correction to my first post.. My device is Xiaomi A2 Lite, not just A2

Al ex
    Keymaster

Ah yes, I was a bit quick with my suggestion there. How about internal storage? Does that work?
    Seems like a really weird issue to me. And these non-working games are working on your PC?

admin
    Keymaster

Cannot have these new games read only file flags? I saw it in the past

Al ex
    Keymaster

Strange thing is that some files, like executables, can be read, but certain other files can’t.

@pdedinski
    how many games have you tried so far? And what happens if you remove one of the working games from your phone (preferably one you aren’t intending to play anyway)? Can you reinstall it, or does it fail, too?

pdedinski
    Participant

@Alex, @admin

Thanks for responding.. the problem seems gone now.. I don’t really know what happened.
    Before upgrading to Android 9.. I had the SD card listed as ‘Read-Only’.. When I requested access to the SD card I had my internal storage, the read-only sd-card and another one which was also the SD card as full access..
    After re-requesting access again (for second time after the upgrade) i was left with only the internal storage and full-access sd card.
    Now one of my games that was failing seems to run, and I am going to retry Daggerfall one of the following days.. Hopefully all will work. I will come back if it happens again and I have more information to share. I guess it’s magic.. Magic Dosbox.. Thanks for your time trying to help me out. I really appreciate the work on the app and the time

Al ex
    Keymaster

Glad it’s working for you now. The reason why I asked about internal storage was that I suspected a faulty sd card. But since the issue is gone now… ?

admin
    Keymaster

With upgrade was probably changed sdcard signature and mdosbox remebered old:)

pdedinski
    Participant

Hello again

I got things working, but I now see the pattern which causes the problem.
    I managed to reproduce the problem again. So it goes as follows

The problem appears with games I had installed from CD-Images in magic dos box. The ones in question were Jagged Alliance : Deadly games and Daggerfall. The first time I just copied the games CD images to the phone SD card, then mounted them in Magic Dosbox and made the installation through MDB. In this case I got ‘Can’t open..’ problem that I was describing, even though the installation was a success and files copied.

Then I did the same on the PC. I have installed the game from the game CD, and then copied the already installed files to the phone sd card. In this case everything works fine.
    Basically running the installation procedure directly from the cd image on the phone sd card causes the behavior I have initially described.

admin
    Keymaster

Thank you, will try these steps. I need that cd image, do you have daggerfall cd image from their website(bethesda)?

admin
    Keymaster

Hm, I went through jagged alliance installation, but can’t reproduce it. Please can you send me email?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.