Bluetooth keyboard without F1…F12

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    aitotat
    Participant

I have a foldable external bluetooth keyboard I’d like to use with magic dosbox. The keyboard works but it does have one big problem: it doesn’t have F1…F12 keys, not even behind Fn key. Norton commander, for example, is quite unusable without those keys.

I was thinking a feature like this: use the other ALT key to toggle number key row between normal number keys and F1..F12 keys. Is this doable?

There is an Android app called External Keyboard Helper that support F1…F10 emulation by holding Ctrl and pressing number. It does not work properly with magic dosbox as it only works when pressing key first time (not magic dosbox issue, happens also with scummvm). Even if it would work, I couldn’t use Ctrl and Alt normally and those are also needed with magic dosbox.

By the way, is shader support planned? I really like retroarch CRT shaders and I would want to use those also with magic dosbox.

Al ex
    Keymaster

You can remap the number key row to F1-F12 with Voodoo control, but then you won’t be able to use the number keys.
    A solution would be an additional Deadly Strike option, that will turn the Voodoo mapping on/off.
    And if you could in addition map this widget to a key on your external keybard, there’s be a perfect fix. Don’t know if this is possible, though.

aitotat
    Participant

I wasn’t able to do what you suggested. I could remap the keys but I couldn’t find a way to turn the mapping on or off. Mapping alone would be enough if it could catch key combinations and turn them to single key press. Unfortunately that was not possible either.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Sorry, that was a feature request for Tony, the developer. I realize it was a bit misleading.
    Atm, there is no widget that will turn the Voodoo mapper on/off, but it never hurts to ask. Most of this app’s features came to life by people asking for them. ?

admin
    Keymaster

Seems easy, but there are complications. Yes, I can add new action to combo(deadly strike) for enabling/disabling mapper. And yes, mapper already supports combo(deadly string), but mapper must be enabled for combo support. You need mechanism before mapper.

Two solutions come on my mind :

1. This can be done if you combine touchscreen with your keyboard – you place combo widget on the screen and configure it to newly developed action. This action can enable/disable mapper.

2. I can add special option to Mapper or to advanced settings, I am not sure which place is better. Here you can define reserved keyboard key which can enable/disable mapper. This reserved key must be evaluated before mapper (separately) and will disable/enable mapper.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Very good! ?
    I’d vote for option #2, because it minimizes the hassle. #1 would require to set up every single combo widget, while in mapper options, you can simply keep adding keys.

aitotat
    Participant

My vote for option #2 as well. It sounds much easier to setup.

admin
    Keymaster

Allright, this is not so much work, I can look at this soon

A lot of Bluetooth keyboards (most in fact) lack the function keys but may have a built in key-combo to access them (I have one that uses the number keys while holding function, unfortunately it lacks the ability to use F10,F11,F12 do to the lack of a 10,11,12 key)BTW Bluetooth keyboards are low energy devices that have a non adjustable timeout making them very kind of a pain to use , if you stop touching keys it turns off and must reconnect before input. The timeout is set ridiculously low, under 30 seconds in most cases. I quit using mine because of this. The problem is not fixable. Bluetooth device has yo initiate the pairing process receiver just listens and has no control over the pairing session. Its frustrating, just thought I’d save you some grief.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.