Benchmark

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    acrosstheline1
    Participant

Huawei P9 Lite – Kirin 650 – 1830

eddieywlee
    Participant

Average 729 for My Mate 9 Kirin 960 6GB 128MB

Al ex
    Keymaster

Uh, that’s very nice! I’m looking for a Samsung alternative, just in case I won’t like the S9. Been watching Huawei phones for a while already, good to see they’re doing so well performance-wise. It should probably be possible to get way below 700 with performance governor. ?

eddieywlee
    Participant

Average 1049 for my wife’s Mate 10 Pro with kirin 970 with the latest firmware update, before the update it is 853….really strange…mate 9 is faster than mate 10….

Al ex
    Keymaster

Strange. Maybe they tweaked the cpu governor a bit, e.g. downclock quicker, to increase battery life?
    I guess your wife’s phone is not rooted, right? Else you could try the performance governor trick, that should boost things up.

admin
    Keymaster

Which program do you use for changing cpu to governor?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Depends. If available, I use Synapse, but the kernel must be custom, and actively support it. For stock rooted kernels, Kernel Adiutor is the best app IMHO.

eddieywlee
    Participant

both my phone and my wife’s phone is not root, but my phone(mate 9) with chinese firmware…

xarx
    Participant

Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 (2016) – T580; CPU Exynos 7870
    score 2264

acrosstheline1
    Participant

Alex, how does your S7 without performance governor compare to that Mate 9 anomaly? The weirdest thing is not it performing better than the Mate 10 (which can be explained by change in the architecture or smth) but that it’s quite a bit better than the Honor 9 too which also has Kirin 960. Maybe it has less throttling restrictions on stock?

EDIT: About the update lowering Mate 10’s results – there were a lot of heat problems with the Kirin 970 reported recently and maybe Huawei just decided to play it safe there.

eddieywlee
    Participant

Just want to give a update on the Mate 10 Pro result, I test it again after the 2 days….and the result is 834(which is the same before the firmware upgrade), it seems that the mate 10 pro will run slower after the firmware upgrade….and after a few days it will back to normal..but the value is still slower than mate 9…

Al ex
    Keymaster

@acrosstheline1 Samsung did an amazing job on the Exynos chip. I think it’s actually closely related to the Kirin, because they’re both using ARM reference design. Maybe Samsung optimized some thing better, but I guess above all, they’re simply handling the heating issue better: the Exynos 8890 is watercooled 🙂, and that’s working really great.

I can use performance governor without any issues, the cpu won’t heat up above 59-64°C. For comparison, my Note 4 was constantly overheating to 85-90°C, and it would then downclock to 800 MHz. Only way to get decent performance was to leave the first core at stock 2.7 Ghz, downclock anonther to 1.2 GHz (to handle Android background tasks), and shut off two cores entirely. That’s because Qualcomm had maxed out the old Snapdragon 800 32 bit design for the Note 4’s 805 line to unhealthy levels.

One big plus for the Snapdragons is their Adreno gpus. They’re much more powerful than the Malis. But unfortunately, Adrenos are not fully compatible with GLTools. So the only way to play Half-Life 2 (which obviously is one of my favourite games) is to use a Mali gpu again.

Well, that pretty much sums up my reasons for buying the S7. 😉

Al ex
    Keymaster

@eddieywlee that might’ve been a fluke. If something’s going on in the background, it will affect the benchmark score. I’ve updated the list.

acrosstheline1
    Participant

I meant that the Mate 9 score was weird compared to the others (especially the other with the same chipset), not yours, I guess I didn’t word it right. 😀

But yeah, Qualcomm’s Adreno is a huge selling point over all the others (Samsung, Huawei, MTK) going with Mali not only because of performance and efficiency but also because of the pathetic state of the drivers on the latter resulting in way worse performance in other emulators like ppsspp and dolphin for example. I’m really hoping Samsung will start manufacturing their own gpu to complement the good job they’ve been putting in their processors but until that happens the trade off is not worth it for me and my use.
    I’ll be in the market for a new device early next year and unless Samsung decide to switch to PowerVR or smth (there has been rumours about that in the past) I’ll basically be forced to switch to the new snapdragon – maybe Mi 7 or whatever Sony has to offer.

Also, kinda offtopic but have you tried Portal and Borderlands with gltools?

Al ex
    Keymaster

I haven’t tried myself, but I know other people have managed to play Portal with GLTools.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 194 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.