Backup Games and Settings for Magic-DosBox

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    QuillsPen
    Participant

Hi,

Did a search on this topic couldn’t find one. But I want to move all the games I installed onto my device and reset the phone. I can manually drag the folder of the files off the phone and have created a backup file on the phone itself through magic-dosbox.

My question is, will all my settings per game be in the specific game and its folder or will it be in the backup file created by magic-dosbox when I want to replace them back on to my phone?

Some of the games were very difficult to set up the first time, and wondering what I need to do to put everything back in order after resetting the phone and putting back the app and games.

Also, is there a clear tutorial on how to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Magic Dosbox has a backup feature, see here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ir4q7jex15eynww/Screen_Recording_20201025-134858_Magic_DosBox_1.mp4
    This will create a complete backup of all your game profiles and settings.
    Copy this file to your pc, or even better, upload it into your Google Drive account (share feature somehow doesn’t work for me, else it would be possible from the file dialogue at the end).

Anyway. Once you’ve reset your phone, reinstall Magic Dosbox, copy/download the backup to your phone, and unzip the backup file to your sd card. If you’re using the “public” install location (recommended), an invisible folder labelled “.MagicBox” will be extracted to /sdcard/.MagicBox

You can check if it’s there with any 3rd party file explorer that supports display of invisible files (e.g. Solid Explorer or ES File Explorer).

Mind that you will have to backup the DOS games themselves manually. Magic Dosbox will backup your profiles, but not the attached games (else the backup file would become HUGE ?).

QuillsPen
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and video.

One thing, maybe it is the same location? However, I have my install of MagicBox on the phone as well as my games. Would I still unzip the backup file on the SD card? Or would I unzip it where I have both MagicBox and the games installed? I just want to clarify before attempting this.

Thanks again.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Magic Dosbox is installed in “/sdcard/Android/data/bruenor.magicbox”

The game profiles are stored in either “/sdcard/.Magicbox” (that’s the public location) or in “”/sdcard/Android/data/bruenor.magicbox\.MagicBox” (I think, maybe some subdirectory in there. Anyway, that’s the private location)

In some cases, it’s not “/sdcard/”, but “storage/emulated/0” or “storage/sdcard/”, or whatever. But file explorers will show the root of your sdcard regardless of the file path behind it, so that won’t be a problem.

Just open up the zip after you’ve created the backup, then you’ll see how everything’s stored in there. The zip file should put everything in the correct folder when you unzip it to the root of your sd card.

QuillsPen
    Participant

Hi,

I am sure I will figure it out. Thank you for the information.

Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.