App crash after BT Disconnect

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    bobmack37
    Participant

Hi there, when my Bluetooth keyboard sleeps or wakes up or disconnects or connects magic dosbox will reset the game I am playing. Anyone else have this happening? Thank you.

Al ex
    Keymaster

No, haven’t experienced this issue before. What exactly is happening? Magic Dosbox resets itself right in the middle of a game? Or do you enter the bluetooth menu on your device? Because that could put mDosbox into background, and depending on your devices memory, Android kills (and thus effectively resets) running apps, to free up memory. This would be especially likely if you set a large memsize in mDosbox (e.g. 128).
    Or, simply put: does this also happen with other memory-hungry games or emulators?

bobmack37
    Participant

Yeah, so here is an example. I have my Bluetooth keyboard connected and start magic dosbox. I start up a game and play but if I allow the the keyboard to idle to long and sleep or simply shut it off it will reset that game. It does not restart the entire app just the game that was running. If I just had magic dosbox and no game physically running and the keyboard sleeps or is shut off everything is fine. Sorry should not have said app crashes in my subject title. I will say this, I had this figured out with external keyboard helper pro in marshmallow but now I am running nougat I am not sure if that is it or I simply can not remember how I had external keyboard helper pro setup.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hm, I haven’t upgraded to Nougat yet, so I can’t verify this. I have experienced a similar behaviour with Samsung SideSync, though: whenever I switch from remote control via PC back to direct control on my phone, I’m dropped back into mDosbox main menu. I thought this was related to the SideSync app switching my phone’s screen on/off, and doing some weird stuff in the background.
    I’ll try my own bluetooth keyboard and gamepad.

*EDIT: at least my gamepad is working fine. I can disconnect and reconnect it without any issues. I don’t have my BT keyboard with me, so it’ll take some time before I can check.

bobmack37
    Participant

1st off, thanks for the assistance. Yes my gamepad also does fine. It is when the internal changes places with external or Vice a versa. At one time using external keyboard helper pro i had it solved but that was under marshmallow. I have that app now under nougat and I just can’t seem to get it to work. I could be doing something wrong in the settings. Thanks again.

admin
    Keymaster

This sounds similarly to this post

This is hard and I need simulate it. Without it I can’t do nothing. I own this keyboard k400. It has usb bluetooth receiver. Then I own standard pc usb keyboard. Maybe I can connect it to tablet with otg cable. But how do you do sleep mode? It is somewhere in android settings? Or it sleeps automatically?

bobmack37
    Participant

Hello, as far as I know it is just like any Bluetooth device, it eventually will sleep if being unused for a period of time. See what I do is have the joypad and keyboard on at the same time for some games like Darkforces or Duke Nukem 3D and at some point stop using the keyboard for to long and it sleeps. If I remember to touch the little touch pad on the keyboard from time to time stopping it from sleeping no problem. I am looking to see if there is an app that keeps a Bluetooth device from sleeping.

admin
    Keymaster

Unfortunately it’s not issue on any device. I use bluetooth ipega controller. It is disconnected when not used for some time. But Magic Dosbox stays like should. But I searched stack overflow I see you are not first who face this issue.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41420025/android-app-fires-oncreate-whenever-bluetooth-keyboard-connects-disconnects

Seems really like an issue in thread what I posted. Best is if I can simulate it, but if it will be not possible then you must help me.

bobmack37
    Participant

I can and will try. I downloaded an app on the google play store called Bluetooth keep awake. It’s purpose is to not allow your Bluetooth device to sleep. I’m not sure how much the author actually works on this program. It did not work for me or should I say the keyboard. I have another Bluetooth keyboard I’ll try it with. And I’ll see what else I can do and let you know.

admin
    Keymaster

Allright. I’ll send you email.

admin
    Keymaster

fixed

chenkennt
    Participant

Is this issue already fixed? I’m still having the same problem in the latest version

admin
    Keymaster

Hm, this is 3 years old thread. Do you have problems keyboard or is it other device?

chenkennt
    Participant

It’s a bluetooth controller. Whenever it connects/disconnects my game will restart. My understanding (as you already pointed out in the stackoverflow question) is this is considered as a configuration change so the default behavior is the window will refresh. I also see the same behavior on other apps like Chrome (the page just refreshes when controller is connected). For browser it might be ok but for an emulator is a bit annoying as all unsaved progress will be lost.

Al ex
    Keymaster

I wonder if this is caused by an Android OS setting? IF it also happens in Chrome, at least it’s not a Magic Dosbox specific bug. Maybe there’s some way to bypass this, though. Can you reproduce this behaviour in games and/or apps other than a web browser?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.