A genuine question

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Facko
    Participant

Why is the ram limit set back to 64 mb?

Looking around a bit the best answer i’ve seen is stability. It genuinely fixed a large number of problems ive had running games in win 9x.

I hate to sound like an asshole, but stability on my end is my problem. Especially with something like dosbox and overclock settings… I really don’t get it.

admin
    Keymaster

64MB cap comes from himem.sys which official dosbox implements, is good reason think that playing with this cap may break some dos programs. If this cap should be raised then not in main core, which is default and is used almost by everyone. Maybe third core “win” can be way.

Facko
    Participant

Doesn’t make sense…

Seemed pretty easy for you to raise the cap in the free version. Fixed a huge number of issues ive had running a lot games under win9x. Like freezing when using a physical keyboard/mouse and general performance.

Again, stability on MY end is MY problem and I never had any issues with the 256 mb cap…

admin
    Keymaster

It is not only rewrite number 64 to higher.

Facko
    Participant

If you’re saying the cap is higher than 64, i’ve already tried it. Barring expert mode being broken. Free version is back to 64 mb limit as well.

admin
    Keymaster

But free version has always cap set to 64mb, only that special free version in fallout 2 thread has cap 386. Do not worry, I will so something with that cap in the future updates

Al ex
    Keymaster

It does make perfect sense to keep the default version clean. Most users will get mad when something gets broken, and you can’t risk stability or compatibility for experimental Windows support (it’s called DOSBox, after all).

That being said, personally I would love to see an additional setting, maybe called “experimental”, that’d be loaded with all available patches. I’m running DOSBox ECE on my PC for example, and prior to that ykhwong’s builds (until they got too broken).

Of course, a big problem might be to maintain all the code involved.

Facko
    Participant

Ty for answering my drunken questions. I’d buy an experimental version… I like breaking things. 🙂

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yeah, me too. ?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Just for clarification: *IF* this function will be implemented, it will be in the regular paid version, no need to buy anything experimental in addition then. The question will simply be if this can be done and maintained in a way that’s reasonable enough.

Facko
    Participant

No clarification needed here. Just saying I’d pay for a full featured experimental version. This is my favorite app.

Had more fun just making windows work on my own than playing the games I think. Made me feel like a teenage kid playing with my old computers again.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Lol yeah, that’s exactly how I feel about it. ??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.