Reply To: Target Trouble

fiffi
Participant

Controls are a bit clanky, sure. But to be fair, this game was revolutionary when it came out. It must be the first game with a true 3D environment even if the monsters and NPC’s are just sprites. I remember being fascinated by the technology back when it was new.

I have been testing various pad and joystick solutions on Magic Dosbox, and I don’t know… I just prefer to use buttons like you can see on my screenshot. I’m not a big fan of frenzied action games. In a game like UW there is seldom the need to move very quickly, just the way I like it. I will probably have a go at Doom, Quake and Duke at some point, I might need to rethink my strategy then. When I use a pad on the edge of the screen, and then are watching the action of the screen, I feel that I lose control over where my pad finger is. There is nothing to hang on to.

The keyboard movements in UW was a pain, but when you can map them to widgets it gets much better. But jumping is still annoying. I have found that I can get by in many places by using the standing long jump (shift-J) if I position my character just right. And save before I try. 😊

My character is now at level 7 so I should be able to cast Levitate, but I lack the rune stones. I’m on my way now to take care of a troublesome Gazer on level 2 of the dungeon now, hopefully it has some good stones. But maybe the Gazer ends up taking care of me… 😊