Reply To: Relative mount path

Pantalaimon
Participant

Thanks for your help

I might have been unclear when I tried to explain my problem.
Let me show you my use case:

A typical DOS game in my library has the following folder structure, which contains the specific configurations, images, drives, scripts, launchers etc. needed for the game.
Game structure

This is what I am doing now on Windows (ykhwong):
– I go to “\DOS\Games\Command & Conquer\Game – CD\System” and start DosBox from there.
“\DOS\Games\Command & Conquer\Game – CD\System” is now my current working directory
– This allows me to use a generic [autoexec] section for all my games to automatically mount the drives by using relative paths:

MOUNT C: "..\GameRoot"
MOUNT D: "..\GameExtra"
MOUNT X: "..\..\..\..\_common"
MOUNT Y: ".\Require"

– With these drives automatically mounted inside DosBox, I can now run the game specific launcher in “Y:\MENU\LAUNCHER.BAT” from within DosBox
– This launcher then mounts (if necessary) additional drives in the same manner, based on choices made in the launcher, like this:

MOUNT E: "..\DiskImages\NOD.ISO" "..\DiskImages\GDI.ISO" -cdrom

This makes DosBox very smooth to use; I can use one global [autoexec] to mount the correct drives for each game, because I mount them relative to my current working directory (and its folder structure is always the same)
It also means I don’t have to worry about the full mounting paths inside the LAUNCHER.BAT, or when I want to mount something on the fly. Thirdly, I know it will still work if I move around my games on disk.

I really want to maintain this structure of my library to use with Magic DosBox.
But for Magic DosBox, as far as I know (and correct me if i’m wrong), I’m not able to use it like the way described above.

– I have to change the [autoexec] mounts for each game to full absolute paths, like

MOUNT C: "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/long/path/to/find/my/DOS/Games/Command & Conquer/Game - CD/GameRoot"
MOUNT D: "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/long/path/to/find/my/DOS/Games/Command & Conquer/Game - CD/GameExtra"
MOUNT X: "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/long/path/to/find/my/DOS/_common"
MOUNT Y: "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/long/path/to/find/my/DOS/Games/Command & Conquer/Game - CD/System/Require"

– And, for each game I have to modify my LAUNCHER.BAT for each mount as well;

MOUNT E: "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/long/path/to/find/my/DOS/Games/Command & Conquer/Game - CD/DiskImages/NOD.ISO" "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/long/path/to/find/my/DOS/Games/Command & Conquer/Game - CD/DiskImages/GDI.ISO" -cdrom

What I would like to see in Magic DosBox is, either in the ‘Game configuration’, or in the ‘Expert commands’ section, an option or property to select a directory as the current working directory, which will be used as base for relative mounting paths.

Is this something worth considering adding?