Reply To: MS-DOS 6.22, BBS/Telnet server, SHARE.EXE?

klyxmaster
Participant

1. Mystic is a native Windows 32-bit. Runs fine without share.
2.gamesrv is also a native 32bit program built for Windows. I know the author and wetalk once or twice a week and I use it as a BBs.
3.Wfc is a BBS term for wait for call screen. In which the server to wait for a telephone call and then act on that. There was no such thing as Wi-Fi in the seventies eighties and nineties. If you look at any documentation to any BBS software, that term comes up all the time. I’m currently at work but when I get home I’ll elaborate more on some of your questions that you have.
I personally do not get into Wi-Fi for the BBS world. personally I feel it negates the spirit of it.

Edit: I am not a linux user – winbloze all the way. Its just the way it is, too many hoops to hop around on linux (a system not designed for gaming or BBS’s) to make even the simplist things work, not to mention all the security/permission issues you have to tinker with. Don’t mistake that, I am a linux lover – its just that everything I enjoy only works well on windows. For my BBS work, I run them on laptops with native XP or 98, as there is no converting this/that/etc.. with the exception of connection, which you use a telnet service (I happen to like GameSrv as it works right out of the box, as does Mystic, Synchornet is to complex for something simple like a BBS – IMHO.

My suggestion would be to research BBS’s and software before jumping right into converting it to Android usage – If you miss what WFC means, and that is 90% of BBS (if you can’t connect the rest is moot), you will continue to run into issues.

But if you want to run before walking, then look this up on Youtube (there are a few vids on it) Run Windows XP on android – then from there, you can run any BBS you want, but the connection will be tricky, I personally have run a web server from native android just fine, as well as PHP/MySQL server too. Android has all the tools for such a project – But in reality, I would run the server from a PC, and use your android to connect to it. 🙂