Reply To: WIN3.1 AND WIN9.X GAMES

OleGamerUA
Participant

Finally, Windows 3.11 for Workgroups installed and works!

At first I’ve tried to install a regular version of Windows 3.11 (from 7 virtual floppies), it was installed correctly, but after loading there were only empty windows without icons.

Here is what you need (for experienced users):
[+] Windows 3.11 for Workgroups (8 virtual floppies in my case, but you can use any other).
[+] MS-DOS (6.22 on 5 virtual floppies in my case, but you can use any other).
[+] Bootable DOS image (needed to start installation from multiple floppies).
[+] Archive with video and sound drivers: https://www.sendspace.com/file/iw4b6e.
[+] Formatted 64MB HDD image (in my case, but you can use smaller or larger) with extracted drivers.
[+] Commands for expert settings:
[autoexec]
@Echo Off
imgmount c /SD_PATH/64_MB_HDD.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,16,128
boot /SD_PATH/BOOTABLE_DOS.ima /SD_PATH/DOSDisk1.ima /SD_PATH/DOSDisk2.ima /SD_PATH/DOSDisk3.ima /SD_PATH/DOSDisk4.ima /SD_PATH/DOSDisk5.ima
[+] After booting simply swap the image through Magic DOSBox menu, go to the A: drive and run setup.exe.
[+] Begin installation. When you’ll get a message to insert next disk, simply swap the image again and continue.
[+] Swap them as many times as needed until the end of MS-DOS installation.
[autoexec]
@Echo Off
boot /SD_PATH/BOOTABLE_DOS.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk1.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk2.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk3.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk4.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk5.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk6.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk7.ima /SD_PATH/WinDisk8.ima
[+] After booting simply swap the image through Magic DOSBox menu, go to the A: drive and run setup.exe.
[+] Begin installation. When you’ll get a message to insert next disk, simply swap the image again and continue.
[+] Swap them as many times as needed until the end of installation (ignore errors and don’t interrupt setup).
[autoexec]
@Echo Off
c:
cd windows
setup
[+] Choose “Display” option, scroll to the most bottom and choose “Other (Requires disk…)”.
[+] Enter path to S3 driver (in my case C:\DRIVERS\S3) and choose “S3 Trio64V 1.70.04 640×480 256 C” (or you can try any other).
[+] Commands for expert settings (in my case path to sound driver was C:\DRIVERS\SB16):
[autoexec]
@Echo Off
c:
cd drivers
cd sb16
install
[+] Start sound driver installation, choose correct path for Windows. Select “Interrupt setting…” option and choose “7”.
[autoexec]
@Echo Off
c:
cd windows
win
[+] Open “C:\CONFIG.SYS” file from your virtual HDD and replace its content with this:
FILES=40
BUFFERS=40
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE /DOUBLE_BUFFER
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CSP.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:7 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
STACKS=9,256
[+] Open “C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT” file from your virtual HDD and replace its content with this:
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE
PATH C:\WINDOWS;
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
WIN
[autoexec]
@Echo Off
boot -l c

[-] In my case here was a fail, so don’t follow the above step with strikethrough data.
[+] Start Windows (the only thing in my case after installing video driver, some errors during Windows appearance, but it works).
[+] Enjoy Windows 3.11 for Workgroups in your Magic DOSBox 🙂

This is not the best manual and result, so maybe someone will write it better. Anyway, feel free to correct my steps and I’ll edit this post.